What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miami Beach and Environs

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With travel to Cuba becoming legal again, I can see quick boat trips to Cuba from Key West as it's only about 75 miles from Cuba. A day trip to Havana would be quite doable.

Hi SciFan.. - apparently, ferries between the Keys and Havana were commonplace before the Cuban Revolution (quote below) - Key West is the closest trip (about 90-100 miles), but that is still a long time on a slow boat (e.g. 20 knots/hr), so more likely an 'overnighter' in my mind.

A couple of years ago, some friends of ours did go to Cuba - we had a chance but neither Susan or I were interested; and this fall, our son & DIL are taking a cruise from the Port of Miami which will stop in Havana and one of the Bahamian islands (which we've been to multiple times) - they wanted us to go, but still not enthralled w/ the idea (e.g. our friends were told NOT to drink the water in their hotel room in Havana). So, I don't see Cuba as a destination in our future travel plans - plenty of other places we enjoy even on repeated visits. BUT, many have the urge to visit that island. Dave :)

Ferries are set to sail between Florida and Havana once again more than 50 years after services were halted at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Around half a dozen companies have expressed interest in reviving the once-popular route following the historic easing of travel restrictions between the U.S. and Cuba earlier this year. Ferries to Cuba were immensely popular during the 1940s and 1950s but services ended on February 8, 1963, when President Kennedy imposed travel restrictions on Americans visiting Cuba (Source).

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Florida Keys, Key Largo, & John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park

If visiting Miami, a day trip to the Florida Keys & the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is highly recommended - we first visited way back ca. 1980 w/ my mother and young son (had a rental car). The Keys are numerous limestone and coral islands connected by the 100+ mile long Overseas Highway, passing over the islands, through the towns, and often bridges seemingly floating on the water - the drive can feel eerie at times. I've driven from Key Largo to Marathon (about in the middle) several times and also from Key West to Marathon, so Susan & I have been on the entire length of that highway.

Key Largo (of Bogart & Bacall movie fame) is just an hour and a half from downtown Miami (see map and other pics below) - one of the main attractions there is the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park (see third quote) - as described, plenty of activities; as I recall we did the trails, other 'on land' attractions, and the glass bottom boat, but if you are into snorkeling and/or scuba diving, then plenty awaits.

My next post will cover Key West (two visits for us, the last maybe a half dozen years ago - we flew into the airport there), followed by one on Everglades City on the west coast - now there are 'day trips' to Key West from Miami but the drive is about 4 hours, so a LONG day w/o a lot of time in the town; the drive to Everglades City is much shorter and worth consideration. Dave :)

The Florida Keys are a coral cay archipelago located off the southern coast of Florida, forming the southernmost portion of the continental United States. They begin at the southeastern coast of the Florida peninsula, about 15 miles (24 km) south of Miami, and extend in a gentle arc south-southwest and then westward to Key West, the westernmost of the inhabited islands, and on to the uninhabited Dry Tortugas. The islands lie along the Florida Straits, dividing the Atlantic Ocean to the east from the Gulf of Mexico to the northwest, and defining one edge of Florida Bay. At the nearest point, the southern part of Key West is just 90 miles (140 km) from Cuba. The Florida Keys are between about 23.5 and 25.5 degrees North latitude (Source).

The climate of the Keys is defined as tropical savanna according to Köppen climate classification. More than 95 percent of the land area lies in Monroe County, but a small portion extends northeast into Miami-Dade County, such as Totten Key. The total land area is 137.3 square miles (356 km2). As of the 2010 census the population was 73,090 with an average density of 532.34 per square mile (205.54/km2), although much of the population is concentrated in a few areas of much higher density, such as the city of Key West, which has 32% of the entire population of the Keys. The US Census population estimate for 2014 is 77,136 (Source).

The first undersea park in the U.S., John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park encompasses approximately 70 nautical square miles. While the mangrove swamps and tropical hammocks in the park's upland areas offer visitors a unique experience, it is the coral reefs and their associated marine life that bring most visitors to the park. Many enjoy the view of the reef from a glass-bottom boat tour, but visitors can get a closer look by scuba diving or snorkeling. Canoeing and kayaking through the park's waters are popular activities; fishing is permitted in designated areas. Visitors can enjoy walking on short trails, picnicking, or swimming at the beach. The Visitor Center has a 30,000-gallon saltwater aquarium and nature videos are shown in its theater (Source).
KeyLargoA1.png
KeyLargoA2.jpg
KeyLargoB.jpg
KeyLargoC.jpg
KeyLargoD.jpg
KeyLargoE.jpg
KeyLargoF.jpg
KeyLargoG.jpg
KeyLargoH1.jpg
KeyLargoH2.jpg

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wynwood Neighborhood - Part 2

Just a continuation of the many pics that I took while visiting this fascinating Miami neighborhood - the place was really buzzing so cannot avoid having people and vehicles in the images shown. Enjoy - Dave :)

P.S. one 'sidewalk painting' - there were many - would love to return!
View attachment 76830 View attachment 76831 View attachment 76832 View attachment 76833 View attachment 76834 View attachment 76835 View attachment 76836 View attachment 76837 View attachment 76838 View attachment 76839 View attachment 76840 View attachment 76841
A unique neighborhood, one of the many surprises that Miami had for us. Unfortunately (my fault) I spent too much time trying on glasses frames in a Warby Parker discount glasses store. Don’t want to bore you with the details, but after all that, I canceled the order. Wynwood is worth a re-visit.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Key West - Conch Republic

Susan and I have visited Key West twice, the last time about 6+ years ago - also known as the Conch Republic (see second quote below) when the town declared independence from the USA in 1982 - the 'short' event remains a yearly celebration coming up on April 23 and mainly promotes tourism. The history of the island is fascinating (see first quote) - just 90 miles to Havana, Cuba, a major cultural influence and cigar industry exists.

We flew in both times but access can also be via boat (e.g. cruise ship shown below) or by car - Duval Street is the main street of interest w/ much shopping, restaurants, and other attractions, including the famous Sloppy Joe's Bar; a Conch Train Tour is mandatory, although there are other choices. Visits to Ernest Hemingway's House and Harry Truman's 'Little White House' are also 'must sees' - many 'water activities' are also available. Dave :)

Key West is an island in the Straits of Florida on the North American continent, at the southernmost tip of the Florida Keys. The island is about 90 miles (140 km) from Cuba. Key West is politically within the limits of the city of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, United States. The city also occupies portions of nearby islands. The island is about 4 miles (6.4 km) long and 1 mile (1.6 km) wide, with a total land mass of 4.2 square miles (11 km2). Duval Street, its famous main street, is a mere 1.1 miles (1.8 km) in length in its 14-block crossing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Florida Straits/Atlantic Ocean. In the late 1950s, many of the large salt ponds on the eastern side were filled in, nearly doubling the original land mass of the island. The island is 3,370 acres (13.6 km2) in area (Source).

The Conch Republic is a micronation declared as a tongue-in-cheek secession of the city of Key West, Florida, from the United States on April 23, 1982. It has been maintained as a tourism booster for the city since. While the protests that sparked the creation of the Conch Republic have been described by some as "tongue-in-cheek," they were motivated by frustrations over genuine concerns. The original protest event was motivated by a U.S. Border Patrol roadblock and checkpoint that greatly inconvenienced residents and tourists. The Conch Republic celebrates Independence Day every April 23 as part of a week-long festival of activities involving numerous businesses in Key West (Source).
KeyWestA1.jpg
KeyWestA2.jpg
KeyWestA3.jpg
KeyWestA4.jpg
KeyWestA5.jpg
KeyWestB1.jpg
KeyWestB2.jpg
KeyWestB3.jpg
KeyWestB4.jpg
KeyWestB5.jpg
KeyWestC1.jpg
KeyWestC2.jpg
KeyWestC3.jpg
KeyWestC4.jpg
KeyWestC5.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Everglades City - Stone Crab Capital of the World

Everglades City is on the west coast of Florida but just an hour and a half drive on the Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) from Miami - see map and pics of the town. We have visited three times, usually as a day trip from the Ft. Myers or Naples areas, favorite west coast stays for us. Known as the Stone Crab Capital of the World (see quotes below), there are numerous attractions and opportunities to eat a variety of 'swamp critters', a delight for Susan (and 3 pics below from a previous lunch there - oysters to start, stone crabs for me, and fried frog's legs for her); on another trip, we had alligator.

We've always taken an air boat ride (several pics below from one trip w/ pelicans and a raccoon), but also have done a 'Stone Crab Tour' (check the link below, if interested) - typically the crab is caught in a cage and a single claw is removed w/ the crustacean returned to the water, quite a sustainable seafood source. Finally, one of Clyde Butcher's studios is in nearby Ochopee on the Timiami Trail - on our first trip to Everglades City, we visited his gallery there and bought the photograph shown below. Dave :)

Everglades City, located south of Naples and Marco Island at the mouth of the western Everglades, is the birthplace of the stone crab industry and the second-largest supplier of stone crab claws in the nation. And from October to May, it becomes the epicenter of crabby activity. Here’s all you need to know about Florida’s famed crustacean. Everglades City, with a population of barely 500, is known as the Stone Crab Capital of the World. Florida's Paradise Coast, which includes Naples, Marco Island and the Everglades, is one of the largest producers of stone crab claws – second only to the Florida Keys (Source).

How are stone crabs harvested? The main harvest method used in both the commercial and recreational fisheries is a baited trap. Some recreational crab fishers collect crabs by hand (using scuba or snorkel gear). Most fishermen use traps. In the commercial stone crab fishery, traps are put out in long lines of up to 100 traps where each individual trap is buoyed. Recreational crab fishers are limited to five traps per person and a recreational saltwater fishing license is required by the harvester (Source).

How long does it take a crab to re-grow a claw? Once a stone crab loses a claw it takes several molts to fully regenerate the lost appendage or claw. Each time a crab molts it has the ability to regenerate the lost appendage. Regeneration in adult crabs takes one year due to the seasonal molting of adult females in fall and adult males in winter. The regenerated claws start out smaller than the original and will continue to grow through subsequent molts. After three molts (three years in adult crabs) a claw can regain 95 percent of its original size. In juvenile stone crabs regeneration of lost appendages can be more rapid than adults (Source).
EvergladesA1.png
EvergladesA2.jpg
EvergladesA3.png
EvergladesA4.jpg
EvergladesA5.jpg
EvergladesA6.jpg
EvergladesB1.jpg
EvergladesB2.JPG
EvergladesB3.JPG
EvergladesC1.jpg
EvergladesC2.jpg
EvergladesC3.jpg
EvergladesD1.png
EvergladesD2.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for another informative travel story, which wouldn't be complete without the ever present oysters.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for another informative travel story, which wouldn't be complete without the ever present oysters.

Hi SciFan.. - well, that last oyster pic was from a lunch in Everglades City a few trips ago to the FL west coast, probably Naples - BUT, we did have oysters every day in Miami Beach - ;)

Now, a number of posts back the question of seeing 'Old Florida' came up - again 'escaping' the big cities is suggested and the Everglades, air boats, and feasting on 'swamp critters' is one way to go.

With the number of members in this forum and the population of the Miami metropolitan area, I expected some 'locals' to chime into this thread - would have enriched the discussion - loved Bob's participation in my Ft. Lauderdale travelogue - well, maybe someone will be stimulated to leave a post or more. Thanks again for your interest. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Key Lime Pie

Well, I cannot leave the Florida Keys w/o mention of one of my favorite desserts, i.e. Key Lime Pie - I have had MANY over the decades, and as aficionados will know, the variety of recipes is quite variable (see the composite pic below - just four that I picked off the web) - for myself, I like a firm but creamy texture and insist on plenty of TANG - don't like a lot of, if any, toppings (such as meringue or whipped cream) - graham cracker crust is the usual standard.

Now, out of the probably 100s of key lime pies that I've had or usually shared w/ Susan, two memorable ones were made at Charleston, SC restaurants, i.e. Poogan's Porch and SNOBs, but I've had other superb slices. And if you're traveling the Florida Keys, every place you eat will claim to have the BEST key lime pie - Dave :)

The Key lime (Citrus × aurantiifolia) is a citrus hybrid (C. micrantha x C. medica) with a globose (spherical shaped) fruit, 2.5–5 cm in diameter (1–2 in), that is yellow when ripe but usually picked green commercially. It is smaller and seedier, with a higher acidity, a stronger aroma, and a thinner rind, than that of the Persian lime (Citrus × latifolia). It is valued for its unique flavor compared to other limes. The name comes from its association with the Florida Keys, where it is best known as the flavoring ingredient in Key lime pie. It is also known as West Indian lime, bartender’s lime, Omani lime, or Mexican lime, the last classified as a distinct race with a thicker skin and darker green color (Source).
KeyLime1.jpg
KeyLime12.jpg
KeyLime13.jpg
KeyLime14.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Marco Island - Part 1

Well, I was not planning to add any more posts (unless to respond), but today I started a new book called The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea (2017) by Jack E. Davis about the Gulf of Mexico - the first chapter is 'Mounds' referring to predominately 'shell mounds' left by the pre-Columbian natives in southwest Florida, i.e. the Calusa Indians. In the mid-1890s, the Smithsonian anthropologist and ethnologist Frank Hamilton Cushing studied these mounds, mainly on Marco Island (see quotes below).

Marco Island is located between Naples and Everglades City (see maps) - Susan & I have been on the island but never stayed overnight - just might change my mind after the read above and researching for these posts - even found a place to stay, i.e. the Marriott Beach Resort (we've built up some points!) - last pics of Cushing, the Calusa geographic area in Florida, and large shell mound near St. Petersburg (these mounds were/are ubiquitous along the coast - Cushing studied dozens), and a Conch shell wall. Next post will continue w/ more on the Calusa peoples and the Marco Island Historical Museum. Dave :)

P.S. if interested in a single family house - see the image w/ the $10,000,000 home (check the LINK, if interested for a LOT of just beautiful pictures of this property).

Marco Island is a city located on an island by the same name in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Southwest Florida. It is a principal city of the Naples–Marco Island Metropolitan Statistical Area. Marco Island is the largest barrier island within Southwest Florida's Ten Thousand Islands area extending southerly to Cape Sable. Parts of the island have some scenic, high elevations relative to the generally flat south Florida landscape. Like the city of Naples to the north, Marco Island has a tropical climate; specifically a tropical wet and dry or savanna type (Aw under the Köppen system) (Source).

The history of Marco Island can be traced as far back as 500 A.D., when the Calusa people inhabited the island as well as the rest of southwest Florida. A number of Calusa artifacts were discovered on Marco Island in 1896 by anthropologist Frank Hamilton Cushing as part of the Pepper-Hearst Expedition. The most notable artifact discovered was the carved wooden "Key Marco Cat" which is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution. When Spanish explorers came to the island in the mid 1500s, they gave the island the name La Isla de San Marcosafter Gospel writer St. Mark. Early development of the island began in the late 1800s after the arrival of William Thomas Collier and his family. Collier founded the village of Marco on the island in 1870, and in 1896 Collier's son, William D. "Capt. Bill" Collier, opened a hotel on the island, known today as the Olde Marco Inn (Source).
Marco_IslandA1.png
Marco_IslandA2.png
Marco_IslandA3.jpg
Marco_IslandA4.jpg
Marco_IslandA5.jpg
Marco_IslandA6.png
Marco_IslandB1.gif
Marco_IslandB2.png
Marco_IslandB3.png
Marco_IslandB4.png

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Marco Island - Calusa People - Part 2

The Calusa 'Shell Indians' were a flourishing culture in southern Florida, particularly along the west coast on the arrival of the Spanish in the early 16th century - below multiple quotes about this fascinating Native American people and their eventual 'extermination' (quotes Source). The Marco Island Historical Museum (which I've not visited but would like to see) has exhibits and artifacts related to the Calusa people - many of the pics below are from the museum. We likely will go to the west coast of FL next spring - Marco Island and the Marriott Resort will certainly be a consideration - Dave :)

The Calusa - the 'Shell Indians' - lived on the sandy shores of the southwest coast of Florida. These Indians controlled most of south Florida. The population of this tribe may have reached as many as 50,000 people. The Calusa men were tall and well built with long hair. Calusa means "fierce people," and they were described as a fierce, war-like people. Many smaller tribes were constantly watching for these marauding warriors. The first Spanish explorers soon became the targets of the Calusa attacks. This tribe was the first one that the Spanish explorers wrote home about in 1513.

The Calusa built their homes on stilts and wove Palmetto leaves to fashion roofs. The Calusa Indians did not farm like the other Indian tribes in Florida. Instead, they fished for food on the coast, bays, rivers, and waterways. They used spears to catch eels and turtles. They made fish bone arrowheads to hunt for animals such as deer. The women and children learned to catch shellfish like conchs, crabs, clams, lobsters, and oysters. The Calusa are considered to be the first "shell collectors." Shells were discarded into huge heaps. Unlike other Indian tribes, the Calusa did not make many pottery items. They used the shells for tools, utensils, jewelry, and ornaments for their shrines. Shell spears were made for fishing and hunting

Shell mounds can still be found today in many parts of southern Florida. Environmentalists and conservation groups protect many of these remaining shell mounds. One shell mound site is Mound Key at Estero Bay in Lee County. Its construction is made entirely of shells and clay. This site is believed to be the chief town of the Calusa, where the leader of the tribe, Chief Carlos lived. Archaeologists have excavated many of these mounds to learn more about these extinct people. Artifacts such as shell tools, weapons, and ornaments are on display in many Florida history museums.

The Calusa traveled by dugout canoes, which were made from hollowed-out cypress logs approximately 15 feet long. They used these canoes to travel as far as Cuba. Explorers reported that the Calusa attacked their ships that were anchored close to shore. The Calusa were also known to sail up and down the west coast salvaging the wealth from shipwrecks. What Happened to the Calusa? The Calusa tribe died out in the late 1700s. Enemy Indian tribes from Georgia and South Carolina began raiding the Calusa territory. Many Calusa were captured and sold as slaves. In addition, diseases such as smallpox and measles were brought into the area from the Spanish and French explorers and these diseases wiped out entire villages. It is believed that the few remaining Calusa Indians left for Cuba when the Spanish turned Florida over to the British in 1763.
Marco_IslandC1.JPG
Marco_IslandC2.png
Marco_IslandC3.jpg
Marco_IslandC4.png
Marco_IslandC5.jpg
Marco_IslandD1.png
Marco_IslandD2.jpg
Marco_IslandD3.jpg
Marco_IslandD4.jpg
Marco_IslandD5.jpg

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All these travel stories are very interesting but nobody mentioned traveling with the iPad I thought that's what this section is about.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All these travel stories are very interesting but nobody mentioned traveling with the iPad I thought that's what this section is about.

WOW Thomas - your first appearance in one of my many travelogues, and a complaint - sorry to disappoint - ;)

BUT just for you, I traveled with my: 1) iPad Air 2; 2) old iPod 2G (mainly a MP3 music player); 3) MBAir laptop (composed most of the posts on it for this thread); 4) BT Inateck speaker; and 5) my new AKG BT headphones (latter two shown below); Susan had her iPad Mini & iPhone 6 - of course, we both have little bags filled w/ AC adapters, cables, battery backup, and other items.

We connected to the internet using the Ritz's in-room Wi-Fi access - I am testing a VPN (second pic below) which was installed on my laptop and iPad - seem to work fine - even though I was in Miami, which was evident when I turned off the VPN and did an IP address search, w/ the service activated, I was in New Jersey at one of PIA's servers, so assume I was protected. In a couple of weeks, we'll be doing a short trip to Myrtle Beach, SC, so I'll likely install the VPN on my wife's iDevices (the license I purchased allows use on up to 5 machines). Dave :)
Headphones_Speaker.png
PIA_VPN.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was not complaining I'm sorry if I sounded like it. Thank you giradman for your response.

Hi Thomas - no problem at all - look back at my post, I did do a 'winky' emoticon - ;)

A few days ago, I started the book below, i.e. The Gulf - The Making Of An American Sea by Jack E. Davis, just released last month - if you're planning to visit Florida or other USA states on the Gulf Coast, then a strong recommendation - a combination of history, geography, fauna, and the people - covers many centuries of discovery and development - I'm about a third through the hardback and just finished a chapter that had much on the oysters of the Gulf, of course a topic close to our hearts - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 10.50.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 10.52.09 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts