What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad2 at iOs 5.1.1 JB - how to update to new JB?

Tomsonman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have an older ios jailbreak version 5.1.1 so I would like to know what are my options with uograding the system. I know I can go 8.1.3 but if I wanted to jailbreak what would be the procedure and which version I could get?

Tnx

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I have an older ios jailbreak version 5.1.1 so I would like to know what are my options with uograding the system. I know I can go 8.1.3 but if I wanted to jailbreak what would be the procedure and which version I could get?

Tnx
I'm afraid that you've missed the iOS 8.1.2 jailbreak window. Apple is no longer signing iOS 8.1.2. Your only choice is to update to iOS 8.1.3, without a jailbreak or stay where you are. If you want to update to iOS 8.1.3 and wait for the next jailbreak its best if you do the update through iTunes as your current iOS is almost 3 years old.

OP
T

Tomsonman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I was afraid that is my only option of upgrading. So no way to do something like offline upgrade to lets say ios 7 and jailbreak to 7 as I know 7 works good on iPad2 ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I was afraid that is my only option of upgrading. So no way to do something like offline upgrade to lets say ios 7 and jailbreak to 7 as I know 7 works good on iPad2 ?
There's no such thing as an offline iOS update as one of the steps in the update process is an online verification with Apple servers to validate the update and make sure it's still being signed.

OP
T

Tomsonman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tnx scifan! If updating to 8.1.3 without JB is really the only option I have, well Im gonna do it and hope it all works fine and that JB will be out soon...

One question. As my iPad2 is 99% full of different stuff, would it be smart to do a full erase or factory reset (not shure if before or after the update?) couse not shure what will happen to some jb apps anyway after updating to 8.1.3 ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a jailbreak backup tweak that will backup all your jailbroken apps and tweaks, it's called PKGBackup. Also back up your iPad with iTunes before starting the update process. When you finish the restore through iTunes, you'll have the option of setting it up as a new iPad or from the backup you just made. If you choose the backup option, all non-jailbroken content that was on your iPad before the update will be restored.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The good news is that quite a few of the tweaks that were popular under iOS 5.1.1 are no longer needed under iOS 8. You may find you lose less than you think.

OP
T

Tomsonman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thats good to hear. Today I will finaly find time to do it.

Most reactions

Latest posts