What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad Review, and iPad vs. Kindle 2

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Nice one!

For the most part I agree. I just sold my Sony reader, as I find the pad much better. The point about LCD screens is really subjective. I found eink screens dull and without bright light quickly gave me eye strain. For me however the iPad screen is much better, and I have yet any eye strain. Of course I have been reading ebooks for 10 years, and I'm sure adjusted over time. It really depends on the person.

I like the iBooks app, but also enjoy the Kindle and Goodreads apps. I even got the ereader app to read some of my old palm books. On the other hand the Kobo app is a mess. I like to buy books from Kobo (easy to rip the DRM off) but their app would often crash, until the updated last night. Since that update the books will not even open.... They really need to get their act together......

Anyway, good review..... Happy reading!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've said since it came out that while Apple is trying to position it as a reader it is NOT a reader...sure you can read on it, but it is not an e-reader...it is a computer.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I've said since it came out that while Apple is trying to position it as a reader it is NOT a reader...sure you can read on it, but it is not an e-reader...it is a computer.

See my post above...... It is not an e-reader to you, but it sure is to me (and many others). It is personal taste and really a matter of what works for the individual. In my 10+ years of reading ebooks, it is the best I've ever used. For you, different story. Apple is marketing each of the features of their product, nothing wrong with that.....

OP
A

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
I'm the first to say that, if it works for you, then I'm happy to hear it. If LCD doesn't bother your eyes, then the iPad suddenly becomes a very compelling choice (especially if you enjoy all the other features that could justify the price differential). Different people prefer different things, and some things might be important to me that aren't a big deal to you and vice versa. As I said, there are plenty of good things about reading on it -- especially the app itself, which I think is an A+. I just prefer my Kindle.

The more choices, the better. I'm just excited to see people reading in general and reading e-books in particular.

P.S.: I also posted a quick blurb about the $149 Kobo eReader if anyone is interested.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

See my post above...... It is not an e-reader to you, but it sure is to me (and many others). It is personal taste and really a matter of what works for the individual. In my 10+ years of reading ebooks, it is the best I've ever used. For you, different story. Apple is marketing each of the features of their product, nothing wrong with that.....

It's not a matter of opinion, an ereader is a device that's only function is to read. They tend to use e-ink. The iPad is as much an ereader as a mac book is.

Lisa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i agree that kindle is a good ereader but with apple being always famous for the applications and accessories,its much better option to have an ipad in the long run imo.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

It's not a matter of opinion, an ereader is a device that's only function is to read. They tend to use e-ink. The iPad is as much an ereader as a mac book is.

Of course by your definition a Kindle is not an ereader since it plays mp3's, and does basic web surfing. Also eink is dead technology, in a few years you will be hard pressed to even find such a device.....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
i agree that kindle is a good ereader but with apple being always famous for the applications and accessories,its much better option to have an ipad in the long run imo.

Agree, plus the Kindle app has the "whisper sync" feature, and to me a better reading experience. I enjoy several reader apps...... iBooks, Kindle, Kobo, Goodreads and ereader all have their place.....

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our new Ipad device can appeal to lots of different people for different uses. I am convinced after my first two weeks I can do away with my Dell laptop. My office is on Term Server and WinAdmin is an awesome program. Now all I need to do is sucker someone into buying my Dell XPS laptop.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Our new Ipad device can appeal to lots of different people for different uses. I am convinced after my first two weeks I can do away with my Dell laptop. My office is on Term Server and WinAdmin is an awesome program. Now all I need to do is sucker someone into buying my Dell XPS laptop.

Lol, the major reason I am keeping my Gateway netbook is because it is what I sync my iPhone, iPad and my wife's iPad to. Really about the only reason I turn it on anymore......

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In spite of what others have stated as fact, there is diversity in opinion on what constitutes an e reader.

MobileRead Wiki - LCD E-Book Reader Matrix

Wiki contains a list of LCD based e-book readers and some believe that the LCD based readers are superior.

One of the beauties of the IPAD design, in my humble and obvousy elderly and illconcieved opinion is that it can be an e-reader to some owners who buy it specifically to be a reader.

Personally I found that what I thought would be dissadvantages of the IPAD over my Kindle were not. True it is heavier and a bit more challenging to hold single handed while in bed, but you can not read the Kindle in the dark. And you can switch the IPAD kindle reader to white text on a black background for reading after the lights are out and the wife would complain if you had the lights on. I use it nightly in this manner and really enjoy it.

Again, at the risk of being called stupid and an Apple hater, I have to give kudos to the IPAD designers for doing such a good job at creating a device that while it does not displace my desktops or laptops, fills a niche that I did not know I had till I began enjoying using my IPAD.

And when I have it in reader mode, yes it is an e-reader.

I am leaping to a personal assumption that some are concerned that if they admit that it is a very good e-reader then that will somehow weaken their argument that the IPAD is a real computer. Interesting. Illogical and in my worthless and ill formed opinion wrong but interesting nonetheless

OP
A

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
I think it can be many things to many people. I see it as more of an entertainment / media consumption device, that you can read on in a pinch. Others see it as an e-reader. Others see it as a complete laptop replacement. It really depends on your particular needs, your particular tastes, and how your eyes react to LCD vs. e-Ink.

I don't think anyone is "wrong" or "right" in giving their opinion on how they enjoy using the device. Just because I need to make complicated spreadsheets or use Photoshop and find it unsuitable as a laptop replacement, doesn't mean that someone else can't be perfectly happy with it. And while I prefer my K2 for reading, other people have different preferences and the iPad may meet their needs better.

Personally, I just hope it brings the joy of reading to more and more people.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad has replaced my Nook unless I am reading outside.

Most reactions

Latest posts