What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook vs Kindle

Ms Deb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I buy from Amazon - convert and read on iBooks. And no I don't feel guilty for deDrming my books. I don't distribute them, they are for my own use, I feel once I pay for them, how I use them is my business.:)

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
After having the ipad for almost a year, I am getting used to it as an ereader. Still not preference. But I broke my kindle last week. And I am having a hard time bringing myself to buy another right now. My wife still has her kindle, so I can borrow hers. And I can read on the ipad and my android phone (nice 4 in screen).

So until there is a new update for Kindle or I find an increadible deal on a current kindle. I think I am using the ipad and my phone. (And will catch up on my paper books that I still need to read.)

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally started out with the Kindle DX. Really liked it. However, I didn't like the fact that it was an 'e-ink' display that required external lighting. I read a lot, and most of the time during the evening at a cafe or restaurant (where a lot of times they dim the lighting to enhance the 'atmosphere'). I also didn't care for being stuck with hardware buttons to turn pages - made it difficult to find a good orientation in a book stand). Both of these reasons were why I decided to get an iPad. Being able to read in any lighting environment has made the purchase of the iPad completely worth while. It's made all the difference in the world.

Regarding the Kindle and iBook applications: They both have their pluses and minuses.

Kindle Pros:

~ Ability to configure landscape mode for single page viewing (cannot be done in iBooks)
~ Better font size scaling. In truth, it's not better, it's that it has the particular font size that I prefer - iBooks fonts are either too small or too large for me.
~ Better distribution of Amazon/Kindle books. You can have Kindle readers for Apple, PC, or Android devices (iBooks limited to Apple products)
~ Ability to sort library by most recently opened (cannot be done in iBooks)
~ Ability to zoom in on embedded graphics (cannot be done in iBooks).

Kindle Cons:

~ Inability to configure left margin tap for page advancement (can be done in iBooks)
~ Brightness adjustment bar defaulted too far into the 'bright' side - making it difficult to adjust brighter (iBooks has the opposite problem)
~ Limited to Amazon's propriety ebook format ( not necessarily limited, but it cannot read the more popular epub format - which is pure silliness from a marketing standpoint).
~ Cannot organize books into separate 'collections' (can be done in iBooks)

iBook Pros:

~ Better personal configurations - I can set it so that a tap on the left margin will advance the page (cannot be done in Kindle).
~ Can read the most common ebook formats (in truth, I only use iBooks to read epub format books that I obtain outside of Amazon).
~ Ability to organize books into separate collections (pseudo sub-folders).

iBook Cons:

~ Inability to configure landscape viewing to single page (can be done with Kindle) - this is something I really dislike.
~ Brightness setting always defaults to the dimmer end of the spectrum bar - difficult to fine-tune brightness to lower levels.
~ Font sizes too far apart - needs more levels of size adjustment (it's either too large or too small).
~ Inability to zoom in on embedded graphics (which often get cut off on their edges if their resolution is too large for the page size).

I think that overall, I prefer the Kindle Application. However, I'm forced to have to use the iBooks app when I have an e-book that I did not purchase/obtain from Amazon. I can however, use either one with ease - though when switching between the two, I have to re-train myself when I'm accustomed to tapping on the left margin to advance the page. I think that if the kindle app was modified so that it could be used to read non-Amazon books and have the left margin tap, page advance feature, it would be pretty much perfect for my purposes. I really like the left margin tap feature, as I often read while I'm eating, and most often I change pages with my left hand (the right hand being used to stuff food into my face). Because of this, I hate having to do the page swipe motion in the middle of the screen, as oftentimes my fingers are a bit greasy from my food... ;)

Although I have the Nook application loaded on my iPad, I have never really used it - so I haven't formed any opinions either for or against it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got an ipad because a Kindle does not have a back light.
That's the honest truth.
I have found the ipad to be so much more than a book reader with a back light . I have used ibooks on a couple of occasions and found it much better to use t than the Kindle app.
I have a decent size Kindle library so I use it most either on my ipad or Incredible

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Avista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having the ipad for almost a year, I am getting used to it as an ereader. Still not preference. But I broke my kindle last week. And I am having a hard time bringing myself to buy another right now. My wife still has her kindle, so I can borrow hers. And I can read on the ipad and my android phone (nice 4 in screen).

So until there is a new update for Kindle or I find an increadible deal on a current kindle. I think I am using the ipad and my phone. (And will catch up on my paper books that I still need to read.)
arshield, I am with you. Last week put my Nook (which I had for 18 months and just loved) on my car while I got my keys out and drove away. It apparently fell off and was driven over. I do have it, but it is not usable. I did order the iPad2 (just before this happened). so don't think I"ll replace it. My husband has a Nook also which he says I can use. I have a B&N credit card which gives my 5% off of my books. It will be interesting to compare the Nookbooks offered, Amazon and iBooks. I guess if I had to brake it, I picked a good time.

Most reactions

Latest posts