What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad Review, and iPad vs. Kindle 2

Meezers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been reading e-books since my handspring visor (yep I am that old). I tried the nook. Have to turn overhead or reading light on way too high for me plus page turning is painfully slow. Since I am sun sensitive the sunlight on the iPad doesn't bother me cause I would be burned to a crisp before it did.

My e-book library is hundreds and hundreds of volumes. The iPad is one device that I can read all my books on. A document in dropbox is my card catalogue. I have iBooks, kindle app and nook app. Not all books are available from each store so this way I can have almost any book I want.

Anyone else wonder why "The Hunger Games" isn't on iBook?

Well. It works for me anyways. Guess that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Suzanne Collins' publisher has not been able to reach an agreement with Apple???

Electronic versions are available from Amazon, B&N and Borders so its not like they made an exclusive deal with one book seller over another.

OP
A

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
My e-book library is hundreds and hundreds of volumes. The iPad is one device that I can read all my books on. A document in dropbox is my card catalogue. I have iBooks, kindle app and nook app. Not all books are available from each store so this way I can have almost any book I want.

You make a good point that, while Amazon (and others) may have a much bigger e-book selection than what's available through iBooks (750,000 e-books to 30,000), the iPad ironically has the largest total number of books that you can read on it, since (unlike the Kindle or Nook), on an iPad you can not only use iBooks, but can also use the Kindle App, Nook App, Kobo App, etc.

If you have e-books from many different retailers, and don't mind reading on an LCD screen, the iPad makes for an attractive proposition.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
While I believe my Kindle DX is superior for much/most of my reading needs, the Kindle is a "one trick pony" while the iPad lets me shift from reading to many other functions and back rather seamlessly. Of course I have the Kindle App and can access any of my Kindle "based" books [not ones that I have loaded to my Kindle 'not through the Amazon Kindle store'] Those I can read both places. I expect the multi-tasking capability of 4.2 will expand that capability. My prediction--Amazon will be coming out with color ink soon, maybe in 2011. They already have folders on the Kindle.

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Suzanne Collins' publisher has not been able to reach an agreement with Apple???

Electronic versions are available from Amazon, B&N and Borders so its not like they made an exclusive deal with one book seller over another.

Is there a list somewhere of the the publishers and the e-book formats they publish books to.

I am finding it frustrating to be reading a series on iBooks, then the series disappears, or the next book is already on Amazon and not yet on iBooks.

OP
A

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
While I believe my Kindle DX is superior for much/most of my reading needs, the Kindle is a "one trick pony" while the iPad lets me shift from reading to many other functions and back rather seamlessly. Of course I have the Kindle App and can access any of my Kindle "based" books [not ones that I have loaded to my Kindle 'not through the Amazon Kindle store'] Those I can read both places. I expect the multi-tasking capability of 4.2 will expand that capability. My prediction--Amazon will be coming out with color ink soon, maybe in 2011. They already have folders on the Kindle.

I do think Amazon will bring color e-Ink to the Kindle sometime in 2011 (there's already an announcement of a Chinese e-reader with color e-Ink from PVI due out in March), but I don't think that will make the Kindle 4 a multi-function tablet. First, I think Amazon wants to keep the focus on reading, since a lot of people like a device purely optimized for reading (as you say, the Kindle may only do one thing, but it does that thing very well). Second, even color e-Ink still lacks full-motion video ability, and the colors aren't as vibrant as LCD, so it's still not ideal for a tablet computer.

Color e-Ink (at least the version we'd see in 2011) would still be best in dedicated e-readers, it would keep the benefits of e-Ink and add color book covers and illustrations -- but not movie playing, great Internet browsing, games, etc.

Of course, Amazon could decide to make a tablet competitor, like B&N did with the Nook Color. But I think Amazon will always keep one branch of the Kindle line dedicated to those who read a lot and just want the best possible e-reader. And, honestly, for pure fiction reading, color would be nice, but isn't really THAT huge a deal to many people.

Frezing Phoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad and iBooks have worked amazingly well for me. I love ittt!! Reading in Sepia, being able to fiddle with Brightness and Font Size has resulted in a very easy to read device. In fact I reckon I have finished well over 12 books on it [and some of them were huge] with no issues. I guess its a matter of personal choice, eyesight, and past experience. But for me it has been a God Send. I shudder when I remember trying to read on my iPod Touch :p!!

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Is there a list somewhere of the the publishers and the e-book formats they publish books to.

I am finding it frustrating to be reading a series on iBooks, then the series disappears, or the next book is already on Amazon and not yet on iBooks.

Thus the glory of the ipad as an ereader over the others. I can't read my Kindle books on a Nook or vice versa unless I go through some lengthy steps. At which point I lose all the things like bookmarks etc..the Ipad, I just download the appropriate vendor app, and voila! I am reading anything I want. Kindle, Nook, Kobo, e-book, pdf. I never have to worry about an author not coming to terms with a vendor over their book.
Oh yeah, I can also check my email, surf the web, play game...ahh, you get the picture...pun intended

Sybelius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ARe ipads and kindles really competitors? You can read Kindle books on an ipad using the free Kindle app.

OP
A

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
ARe ipads and kindles really competitors? You can read Kindle books on an ipad using the free Kindle app.

Yes and no. I see them as complementary devices, or as devices focusing on different markets and doing different things well. I think the Kindle (especially the new Kindle 3) is the best device available solely for reading, but the iPad does a lot of things (web surfing, watching videos, playing games, etc.) that the Kindle either does poorly or can't do at all.

I think they're really more different than similar -- sure, I can write an email on a smartphone and make a VOIP call with my laptop, but I don't consider them competitors, just different tools for different purposes, with different strengths and weaknesses.

As you point out, Amazon has a foothold on the iPad as well -- many people use the Kindle App and read e-books purchased from Amazon on the iPad. Interestingly, the iPad also has apps from B&N, Kobo, Sony, Google, etc. (in addition to iBooks), and can read e-books from many different sources.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Each user have different preferences and requirements influencing their device of choice.

Since I bought my iPad2 some four months ago, I have not even switched my kindle on. For me I do not see the need to cart two devices around with me and the iPad allow me to read all my purchases on one device, even though they may be in different Apps.

I reconfigured the Kindle over the weekend for my wife.

Then there is still the whole debate of e Readers vs. hard-copy and the preference to either is definitely not driven by age.

Most reactions

Latest posts