What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad 2 mapquest gps wont work in the car

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wy not? I have a wifi only iPad. Do I need Internet connection to be able to use gps? Well if that's the case, good thing I never sold my garmin nuvi gps

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The WiFi-only iPad does not have GPS functionality. GPS is part of the electronics included in the 3G versions of the iPad. WiFi iPads have some navigational capability by using a database of known WiFi basestation locations. But once this type of iPad cannot receive a WiFi signal it has virtually no navigational capability.

It is possible to connect an external GPS unit to these WiFi iPads and several models are available for purchase but, if you already have a sat nav system, this probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Tim

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi only iPads don't have a GPS receiver.

Only the 3G IPods have the built in GPS receiver, and that is the only reason I bought a 3G iPad.

Without jail breaking the iPad, adding a gps to a wifi iPad will cost about $100.00, and there are only three options at this time.

Most reactions

Latest posts