What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More skype pain

fmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive nearly given up on Skype for ipad. The sliding finger thing just doesn't seem to work on my ipad2; I've deleted and reinstalled the app twice. Now I have no photos on any of my contacts. It's supposedly up to date with app updates. I do not like it at all..any advice??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably my fault, but what's the 'sliding finger' thing? Skype works fine on my iPad, so not sure what problems you're having...

Tim

OP
F

fmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks tim. It has been suggested to delete conversations/contacts in the sidebar to "slide your finger from right to left and a delete button appears" I assumes that means to swipe like you do for anything on an iPad/iPhone screen? Doesn't seem to work. After the latest delete ( cos another random somehow got into my conversation bar, but not my contacts list so deleted the whole app and reinstalled it, again) I now have no photos with my Skype contacts. As some have 2 entries(one for computer Skype and one for iPhone Skype, differentiated by their photos) this is really annoying. Sorry to be so verbose!! thanks.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks tim. It has been suggested to delete conversations/contacts in the sidebar to "slide your finger from right to left and a delete button appears" I assumes that means to swipe like you do for anything on an iPad/iPhone screen? Doesn't seem to work. After the latest delete ( cos another random somehow got into my conversation bar, but not my contacts list so deleted the whole app and reinstalled it, again) I now have no photos with my Skype contacts. As some have 2 entries(one for computer Skype and one for iPhone Skype, differentiated by their photos) this is really annoying. Sorry to be so verbose!! thanks.

I can't make sense of your post, but if you're asking how to delete contacts, you just put a finger on a contact and it will start jiggling, then you can delete (the same as deleting an iPad app).

To delete old chats on the left panel, you hit Edit and then delete.

To delete stuff from the History on the left panel, you slide your finger across the item, then the word Clear appears, so you click on Clear to delete.

Last edited:
OP
F

fmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have no need to delete from history, but know how to do that when I need to. Also know how to delete contacts as per the juggling thing, no problem. I have a problem deleting a random contact, which appears in my sidebar, but not in the list of contacts..if they did I wouldn't be on this forum. The only way I can is to delete the whole app.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - so you're saying that, in the left hand sidebar, you have a random contact appearing that's not in the main list of contacts. Do you recognise that contact - is it a person that has called you or tried to call you?

I know I may seem as though I'm being stupid here (my students often tell me that, so it's no surprise!), but I don't see any contacts in the left hand sidebar at all and never have done.

Tim

OP
F

fmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Tim I'm sure I'm the dumb one.
In the Skype for iPad app I see across the top bar, in order, my photo, "tags" , and "Skype contacts ". This then becomes the contact's name when I am on chat.
In the left vertical sidebar, underneath my photo, I see "head and shoulders" icon, (which leads to all the contacts options,) and then the photos of all my recent contacts, then the icon which links to the history page.
I have no items in history and never have had.
The random has tried to contact me. I do not know them but their photo remains in the left sidebar with all my other contacts with whom I have recently chatted. As per my other contacts when I touch the photo their name comes up on the top horizontal bar, but no info at all..
I am unable to clear the left vertical sidebar of any contacts in any way.
As this random person is not in my contacts list I cannot delete them as per deleting an app: I do know how to do that, so I have to delete the whole app and reinstall it.
They have not ever appeared on my computer, only the iPad.
It's no big deal, now, just annoying. And I'm frustrated that I don't seem to get any options appearing when I swipe my finger over the left sidebar.
Sorry, again.....and thanks for trying to help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - how about adding 'random' to your Contacts list and then deleting it? Would that clear it?

Tim

OP
F

fmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim it wouldnt add..figure I have must have a corrupt app so have deleted it. I'm going to delete it from my iTunes completely and start again..will report ant successes, failures. Thanks again.

OP
F

fmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all. As I thought. App had been corrupted. Thanks to random I would assume. Now working perfectly as everyone has described. I had to delete from iTunes, empty trash, and re install from iTunes. NOW I understand the swiping finger thing: excellent!!! And all the contacts photos are all working as they originally were: so all is good. Thanks especially to tim for your patience..

Most reactions

Latest posts