What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Skype works?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used Skype before so I'm not familiar with how it works other than it's supposed to be easy to use with an iPad. I went ahead and download the app based on the raves people give it here. From what I read in the description it's free if the person you call also has Skype right?. It also says you can call or text other contacts at low rates with Skype credit. I didn't give a credit card # when I signed up but was able to make a call to my wife's cell that wasn't using Skype. So my question is how does it charge you if you make a call to a phone that's not using Skype?

ccooluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so with Skype, its a way to talk to people via the internet with video calling and chat. There is no Ipad specific app (yet) for Skype. If you have a computer I would suggest downloading Skype on there to get the full feel for Skype, it even has group video chat (not for mobile). Skype is like FaceTime, but free and includes optional calls to actual phones.
You were able to call your wife because Skype includes a 10 minute credit for new accounts, so you can try out the feature, like you did. Also, not meaning to be rude, (as I am trying to help) but you are in the wrong forum. Skype is not ipad specific, it's not iOS specific. It is it's own company that in fact microsoft just bought for 8 million. but they say that they will still support apple products, so no worries.

Go to Skype.com then find their forums, and get to know the world of Skype. You'll find a lot more help there then you will here. Good luck!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used Skype before so I'm not familiar with how it works other than it's supposed to be easy to use with an iPad. I went ahead and download the app based on the raves people give it here. From what I read in the description it's free if the person you call also has Skype right?. It also says you can call or text other contacts at low rates with Skype credit. I didn't give a credit card # when I signed up but was able to make a call to my wife's cell that wasn't using Skype. So my question is how does it charge you if you make a call to a phone that's not using Skype?

As you'll have found, the app for the iPad is not iPad-specific - it was actually designed for the iPhone but works just fine on the iPad - although the app doesn't fill the iPad screen properly. You can call - over the Internet - another user who has Skype on their PC, iPad etc for free - always - irrespective of where in the world they are.

You can also call regular phone numbers - mobile or regular - but you are charged. As the other poster suggested, Skype give you a small 'free' initial credit so that you can check it out. Once that initial credit is used up, you will need to give credit card details to be able to continue.

While not wishing to contradict the other poster, I would suggest that this is precisely the right Forum for your question - since it relates to using an iPad and most certainly this is the best iPad Forum there is!! You'll find many threads in this Forum on using Skype on the iPad - including the answers to many questions and problems that people have had - using Skype with the iPad video cameras, for example. Have a look around and please stay with us.

Welcome to the Forum

Tim

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As you'll have found, the app for the iPad is not iPad-specific - it was actually designed for the iPhone but works just fine on the iPad - although the app doesn't fill the iPad screen properly. You can call - over the Internet - another user who has Skype on their PC, iPad etc for free - always - irrespective of where in the world they are

You can also call regular phone numbers - mobile or regular - but you are charged. As the other poster suggested, Skype give you a small 'free' initial credit so that you can check it out. Once that initial credit is used up, you will
need to give credit card details to be able to continue.

While not wishing to contradict the other poster, I would suggest that this is precisely the right Forum for your question - since it relates to using an iPad
and most certainly this is the best iPad Forum there is!! You'll find many threads in this Forum on using Skype on the iPad - including the answers to
many questions and problems that people have had - using Skype with the
iPad video cameras, for example. Have a look around and please stay with us.

Welcome to the Forum

Tim
Thank you Tim. Judging from all the mentions of Skype I'd seen since I joined I figured it was ok to ask about it here since this is THE iPad forum and Skype is functional on the iPad, albeit only as an iPhone app for now. I agree with you that IPF is the premier iPad forum. You're and the other poster's helpful answer about the trial period is just a small testament to that. Thank you again.

Most reactions

Latest posts