What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More new tabs in safari

Phildave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered already elsewhere.

When using Safari, if I click on a link on a web page a new window opens up - that's now 2 tabs open. If I click another link later yet another tab opens and so on until I have a whole mass of open tabs (seemingly unlimited) and have to manually shut each one down individually. Anyway of stopping this or at least limiting the number of tabs that can open. Philip

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wether Safari opens a new tab for a link depends a a few things. File links to things like PDF's or pictures will always open a new tab. The website itself can have a browser open a new tab/window by default. There are probably other reasons, but you don't have a lot of control over this behavior in Safari.

You can force a new tab by tapping and holding on a link, then choosing Open in New Tab. Or you can tap on the (+) at the right of the tabs to open a blank page. There does not seem to be anyway of forcing it to not open in a new tab if that's what the website demands.

Other than that you can really do is keep cleaning up after yourself. When you are done viewing a tab, tap on the (x) to the left of the selected tab, and it will close. If you accidentally close a tab you were still interested in, tap and hold the (+) to the right of the tabs. You will see a list of all recently opened tabs.

You can also rearrange tabs by dragging them left or right; though I don't' find much use for this.

It is possible there are other tricks to manage tabs. If so, I hope someone who knows more about the subject chimes in.

Most reactions

Latest posts