Safari: completely unable to force quit

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Cumberbun, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Cumberbun

Cumberbun iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iPad 2, which I bought new and hasn't been jail breaked or otherwise tampered with, has been working fine until about 10 days ago. Out of the blue, Safari's address-favorites bar area has turned black with white labels. Safari no longer keeps me logged in at web sites where I request it, so I am constantly logging and re-logging in. I am also unable to quit the program.

Things I've tried:
    I have done multiple regular closings of the program by clicking the home button twice and swiping. I have attempted multiple force quits of the program in as many different ways as I have found posted here. None work. When I reopen the program, the tabs or screen I last had open appear again.

Multiple times I closed all programs (except for Safari, that looks closed but isn't really) and used the home button with the wake-up button to shut down my iPad. Safari still opens afterwards with whatever tabs or screen were last in use.

Nothing works. Is it possible that I need to delete all of my stored passwords? I'm stumped, and I haven't found any other instance of someone reporting this problem.

2. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,784 / 6
    Hi, welcome to iPF!

You seem to have set Safari to Private Browsing by accident. To disable this feature again, either open a new tab or tap the address bar. When you open a new tab, you'll find "Private" at the bottom left:
    image.jpg
    If you tap the address bar, the keyboard will appear with "Private", also at the left:
    image.jpg
    Tap Private to end Private Browsing. This should keep you logged in on websites, the head of the browser will be white again with black labels.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Cumberbun

Cumberbun iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I cannot thank you enough! Problem solved! (Accidental use of private browsing!)

4. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,784 / 6
    Glad to help. :)

5. Victoria022

Victoria022 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Perfect and informative!!