What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

monopod advise please

peterseaford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
interested in using ipad pro for photography and have been told to buy a monopod - one i saw at class could double as a walking pole and cost around $40 on ebay buy i have not been able to find one at all
Have you any experience with these things and have they improved your images
kind regards peter

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad is pretty big. I'd go for a full tripod unless you really want the walkingstick feature. A light tripod isn't that much harder to tote around than a good monopod, and can usually be used like a monopod with the legs collapsed. Thats what I do when I'm in a hurry to catch a shot; though only with my camera or iPhone.

I do have a monopod, and there are tricks that help make it more stable than just holding a pole; but when I get serious about taking photos I almost always regreat not taking a tripod instead.

I doubt you'll find a monopod or tripod designed specifically for the iPad. Instead look for monopods (or tripods) for traditional camera equipment, and tripod adaptor mounts for the iPad. Tripods and monopods typically use the same standard mounting hardware.

I can't recommend an iPad mount, but a search for iPad tripod adaptor turns up plenty of results.

OP
P

peterseaford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is pretty big. I'd go for a full tripod unless you really want the walkingstick feature. A light tripod isn't that much harder to tote around than a good monopod, and can usually be used like a monopod with the legs collapsed. Thats what I do when I'm in a hurry to catch a shot; though only with my camera or iPhone.

I do have a monopod, and there are tricks that help make it more stable than just holding a pole; but when I get serious about taking photos I almost always regreat not taking a tripod instead.

I doubt you'll find a monopod or tripod designed specifically for the iPad. Instead look for monopods (or tripods) for traditional camera equipment, and tripod adaptor mounts for the iPad. Tripods and monopods typically use the same standard mounting hardware.

I can't recommend an iPad mount, but a search for iPad tripod adaptor turns up plenty of results.

OP
P

peterseaford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much - have tripods so will look for an adapter to hold the ipad and iphone
while i have you if i take pictures on iphone 6 and load them on to ipad pro will i get the same result as having taken the picture with the ipad ?
know it sounds silly but at almost eighty i tend to look for short cuts such as iphone as camera and ipad to edit and print
will value your opinion
kind regards peter

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks very much - have tripods so will look for an adapter to hold the ipad and iphone
while i have you if i take pictures on iphone 6 and load them on to ipad pro will i get the same result as having taken the picture with the ipad ?
know it sounds silly but at almost eighty i tend to look for short cuts such as iphone as camera and ipad to edit and print
will value your opinion
kind regards peter

New iPads are usually at least one generation behind new iPhones when it comes to cameras. If you iPhone is two years or more older than the iPad, then the iPad 'might' take better pictures; otherwise the iPhone is goign to do a better job. Photos do not lose quality when synced or copied between devices (unless you pass them throug a thrid party like iTunes which might 'optimize' them).

Of couse, it much nicer to view and edit the photos on the iPad; which is why I do like you. I take almost all my pictures on the iPhone, but wait for them to sync to the iPad before editing. I use iCloud Photo Libary, which makes this fairly easy; however you do have to pay for a bit more iCloud Storage. 5GB isn't enough to support much of a Photo Library.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
how about using a smaller ipad like one from the mini line.

The camera is no better than the full sized iPad, and in the case of the iPad Mini 2, it is several generations behind. Even the Mini 4 is a couple generations behind. We'll have to see what they do with the next iPad Mini, whenver it comes out.

As for editing, well, its better than the iPhone, and worse than the iPad. The best iPad for photo editing at the moment is the 9.7 inch iPad Pro. It is marginally better than the larger iPad due to the improved color gamat of the screen. My oppinion only of course. And only based on specks. I've never worked with the smaller Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts