What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Keyboard Problems

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Apple's Smart Keyboard since it was introduced along with the iPad Pro. The keyboard seems to be well conceived ergonomically. But after about a year of light to moderate use, one key ceased responding. It happened to br the "\". I use the LaTeX app TeX Writer a lot, and this particular key just happens to be the one which identifies TeX commands. So I had to replace it. It was, of course, out of warranty, but Apple was decent enough to knock off thirty bucks from the replacement cost.

Recently, that replacement keyboard began to get ornery, then it, too gave up the ghost. Again, out of warranty. Again, I had to buy a new one, though Apple once more gave me a thirty buck coupon.

I don't know what others here have experienced, but I am highly disappointed. I've alway considered Apple gear to be on the costly side, but of high quality. After my keyboard experiences, I am unfortunately coming to the opinion that the quality is not what it once was.

Anyone have pro or con experiences to relate---for either the keyboard, the Pro itself, or other accessories?

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks so much scifan57. That's an interesting article. I think perhaps the support folks I interacted with were unaware of this program. I will follow up on it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much scifan57. That's an interesting article. I think perhaps the support folks I interacted with were unaware of this program. I will follow up on it.
You’re welcome.
Let us know how it goes. I haven’t had any problems with my Smart Keyboard so I haven’t had to deal with this service myself.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just an update. I had no success through the standard Apple help desk, but on a whim I sent an email to [email protected]---figuring that it just might find its way to someone appropriate. It did! I soon received a phone call from a very nice company rep who discussed the issue with me. The final resolution was that she would send me a spare keyboad just in case the current one fails and said to use her contact info in case of future problems.

Apparently, the rank and file folks haven't been clued in about the problem, but I have to say that the final resolution was as decent as I could expect. Don't know what to advise folks with keyboard problems to do---other than try what I did!

Most reactions

Latest posts