What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Model number confusion?

JaneH99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my new iPad Pro 10.5". According to the "About" screen it is "Model MPDY28/A". I'm trying to order a case for it but everything I want says only for "model 1701-1709". Are they the same size?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got my new iPad Pro 10.5". According to the "About" screen it is "Model MPDY28/A". I'm trying to order a case for it but everything I want says only for "model 1701-1709". Are they the same size?
Go back into Settings>General>About and tap on the model number. If you have the WiFi only model it will then say A1701. If you have the WiFi + cellular model it will then say A1709. The same case will fit either model.

OP
J

JaneH99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go back into Settings>General>About and tap on the model number. If you have the WiFi only model it will then say A1701. If you have the WiFi + cellular model it will then say A1709. The same case will fit either model.
Thanks but that's exactly what I did! Mine says exactly this: "Model MPDY2B/A". I ordered it directly from Apple in the UK so don't know if that makes a difference. Also it is a 256GB if that makes a difference. It is not a cellular model, either. I'm in the UK, not the USA, if that makes a difference.

Update: I just see on the back cover in very tiny, faint writing, it says Model 1701. So problem solved!!!

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will also see this number, when you tap Model in Settings - General - About. It will switch between those two:
F8304102-0B54-4185-AB66-C433CFC86CEE.jpeg
46B9C2B1-81CD-43A9-B364-51437DCEB246.jpeg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You’re welcome. :)

Apple devices in general are quite different from others. They’re easy to handle, though. I’m sure you’ll know how to work with your iPad in no time. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that....who knew????? I've only had this for two days so I'm still learning. Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S tablet (Android), it's a whole new world!!

Your 'model' questions have already been well answered, but in the future and for others reading this thread w/ similar concerns, one site that is quite useful is EveryMac - by using their 'Lookup' tab (see pic below of your iPad model), all of the identifiers will be listed (long circle in image), plus ALL details of the device can be seen by scrolling down at the website. Apple gives their devices both 'A' and 'B' identifiers, and numbers may vary depending on the countries where these devices are sold (some more information HERE, for those interested). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 8.24.33 AM.png

OP
J

JaneH99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Right now I'm not feeling it, however. There are so many things I miss about my old tablet that I can't do with the iPad Pro. I'm hoping it's just a matter of learning and not design.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Right now I'm not feeling it, however. There are so many things I miss about my old tablet that I can't do with the iPad Pro. I'm hoping it's just a matter of learning and not design.
You'll also find there are many things that your new iPad Pro can do that your old tablet couldn't do. If you have any other questions, we're here to help.

OP
J

JaneH99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll also find there are many things that your new iPad Pro can do that your old tablet couldn't do. If you have any other questions, we're here to help.
Is there a list anywhere? So far, all I've found is marketing-type information, which is pretty vague. For example, my Samsung tablet has a little curved arrow on the bottom of the screen that allows you to go back a screen or even to skip ads that pop up. On the iPad, I can press the HOME button but don't necessarily want to go that far. I'm probably not explaining this very succinctly.

Also, can I sort my apps alphabetically? I know I can manually move them around, one by one, but on the Samsung I can just choose "Sort Alphabetically" and presto!

Last edited:
OP
J

JaneH99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here’s the online version of the iPad user guide. https://help.apple.com/ipad/11/
If you go here, you can get a downloadable copy of the user guide. Apple - Support - Manuals
To go back to the previous page, swipe to the right from the left side of the screen.
Thanks for those links. I also got a Kindle book today called "Essential iPad iOS 11 Edition". I've hardly had time to look at it, but have already learned a few things. Ironically it's on my new iPad but I can't figure out how to close it. I can close the app/book, but every time I try to open the Kindle icon now, it opens that book! I want to see all my books..... sigh!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for those links. I also got a Kindle book today called "Essential iPad iOS 11 Edition". I've hardly had time to look at it, but have already learned a few things. Ironically it's on my new iPad but I can't figure out how to close it. I can close the app/book, but every time I try to open the Kindle icon now, it opens that book! I want to see all my books..... sigh!

You’re welcome.

Tap the Center of whatever page you’re on, then tap the down facing arrowhead at the upper left. This will close the book and take you back to the library page.

OP
J

JaneH99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You’re welcome.

Tap the Center of whatever page you’re on, then tap the down facing arrowhead at the upper left. This will close the book and take you back to the library page.
It worked! I think I need you to sit beside me for a few days! Seriously, once you're used to Microsoft's and Android's version of "intuitive", Apple takes you into a whole new world! o_O

My screen protector and keyboard case (fab!) arrived today so I'm now committed....!

Most reactions

Latest posts