What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is 10.5 pro a good purchase in 2018?

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi im planning to get an iPad again finally since my mac pro is almost 5 years old. Im actually torn between 10.5 and the new 11. On one hand i want to get the latest model as it would be of course better for future proofing as i use my device for a long time. But i really want the finger print sensor and face id alone would be not ideal.
I have noted that ram and display is same but the new processor is said to be considerably superior. And there is the cost issue.
Please advice me .

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No one can tell you what iPad is best for you. Which one is best is dependent on what you plan on using it for. CPU intensive tasks would benefit from the faster processor.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi im planning to get an iPad again finally since my mac pro is almost 5 years old. Im actually torn between 10.5 and the new 11. On one hand i want to get the latest model as it would be of course better for future proofing as i use my device for a long time. But i really want the finger print sensor and face id alone would be not ideal. I have noted that ram and display is same but the new processor is said to be considerably superior. And there is the cost issue...

Well, I'm also in the market for a new iPad and likely will purchase the 'new' iPad Pro (Wi-Fi version only w/ 256 GB storage + AppleCare) - total cost about $1,000 USD - now the base price for a Wi-Fi only iPad Pro 10.5" is $649 (vs. $799), so if you're considering that choice about $150 less which is not much different in my mind for these rather 'expensive' models - so, first I'm assuming that price is a secondary consideration, or not? If so, then even less costly if you avoid the storage addition and even AppleCare (not recommended in my mind).

As to the longevity of either iPad Pro - the older one was released in June 2017 (see below) - thus, a fairly new model that should easily serve your needs for 4-5 years (just an estimate); for myself, I would like the larger display and also would not mind losing the HOME button; plus, the USB-C port is a major attraction - never liked the rather flimsy lightning port (but just my opinion).

Thus, as SciFan.. stated the choice is all yours to make - we cannot tell you what to buy but the slight difference in release dates is probably your least consideration - if you want the HOME button w/ the fingerprint feature, then the decision is made. Good luck in your choice. Dave :)

P.S. also priced a 'trade-in' w/ Apple for my old iPad Air 2 - about $120, taking me down to $880!
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 10.55.21 AM.png

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions. i don't plan to use the iPad for cpu intensive purposes like video editing or photoshop.
my main concerns are 1) i want it to be relatively future proof...ie don't want the iPad to be slowing down after 1-2 major software updates. started happening with my iPad 2 , natural considering its low ram.
2) cost is of course an issue but not a make or break one.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi im planning to get an iPad again finally since my mac pro is almost 5 years old. Im actually torn between 10.5 and the new 11. On one hand i want to get the latest model as it would be of course better for future proofing as i use my device for a long time. But i really want the finger print sensor and face id alone would be not ideal.
I have noted that ram and display is same but the new processor is said to be considerably superior. And there is the cost issue.
Please advice me .
I’m not going to tell you which to buy but I will say I have had both fingerprint and face time on my iPhones and didn’t hesitate a second to get the new iPad Pro 12.9 and as with the iPhone X I love it. Neither of which has ever not worked with the Face ID. The fingerprint can at times not work with extra dry wet hand cream etc where the face never lets you down.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ll second DavidM’s reply—I so prefer Face ID (with so far no issues at all) since I often had issues with fingerprint ID and had to put in my password—and quite a number of times had to completely reset my fingrprint. Had it on my Iphone 6S+ and my first gen 12.9 Ipad pro.

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
If longlevity of the device is a concern and cost is not a make or break issue then buy the latest model. As others have said you will get used to the latest tech such as Face ID. I never find it's a good idea to invest in yesterdays tech, particularly if you can make your devices last a good few years, which is normally possible with Apple devices.

Snapshot2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the 2017 since I use the iCloud 64Gb was enough for my needs,and from reading all the complaints about the new iPadPros am glad I did pick the 2017.
Also I reall dislike Apple increased prices on the new iPads and with $150 for the keyboard and $100 for the pen,just this alone turned me off.

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all.I thought a lot and finally got myself a 10.5 64gb model. The widespread bending issue also factored into my decision and 10.5 was available on discount at the time.
I'm happy with it now and don't regret getting the newest one. If nitpicking I should have got the 256 GB model ,but only 64gb being on discount made me go with it. I don't think it will be a big issue since I can uninstall unused preloaded apps unlike the previous iOS versions.
With 4gb ram and still a good processor I hope it will last me minimum of 3-4 years. I plan to upgrade my one plus 6T and iPad together next time.

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also I finally bit the bullet and updated my late 2013 Mac pro 4gb ram to Mojave. I expected it to be slowed down greatly but to my surprise it is working ok (slight increase in booting up times).
Guess that extends it's life span by another 2 years hopefully

Most reactions

Latest posts