What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MobileMe Demands Outlook to be client; I use Thunderbird?

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thunderbird is my default email client.

I am trying to get MM to work on my PC. It wants me name outlook as my default email client. I do not use Outlook for email, have no email accounts defined in Outlook, do not sync email in iTunes. This trial is starting to be a real trial. Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did an Outlook Help/Repair which solved the problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to hear that.

Since no one else, including me, seemed to know how to help:

I here by dub thee the Thunderbird expert of the forum (subject to approval of the moderators) :D

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yea, but problem returned after I reinstalled the MobileMe desktop control. I am to tired to fix it again. I just went into Internet Explorer Tools Program and set Outlook as default. I rarely do a Mailto: on the PC. I just told TB not to check. I am not which is more a PITA, Windows or Apple (no offense to the Apple cowboys & cowgirls ;).

Regards.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the MobileMe desktop control, or what it does, but I wonder if it would not be easier to do things individually.

For instance, just add the mail account in Thunderbird as an IMAP account. If Thunderbird can handle iCal calendars you could share them. Go to me.com and get the share addresses, then import/add them individually to Thunderbird.

That leaves contacts. Not sure how to handle them. Might just have to use the me.com site. You can access iDisk that way too, rather than bother with the client software.

Of course I could be blowing smoke. I'm not sure any of this is possible, well, except the mail. It is just an IMAP server. Only a matter of figuring out what the settings are.

This is what I can glean from my settings.

Incoming server: mail.me.com
username: username
email address: [email protected]
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.me.com:username
SSL: off
Authentication: Password
Use IDLE command if server supports it: checked

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, really no problem adding another IMAP account to Thunderbird. However, I won't be using the MobileMe server or client since I must have a client that allows me to set up multiple alias identities. It is the Outlook items that need to be kept in sync across devices. The MobileMe control is the Windows program that automatically syncs the Outlook items with their equivalent on the MM server. It can be run from the control panel.

I guess the next real test will be to see if I can add my laptop's Outlook items to MM. It would be nice if I could have the PC, the laptop, the iPad, and the iPhone stay in sync via the MM cloud. The other issue I need to investigate is what happens when my wife logs into the laptop on her account and wants to do the same thing with all her computer devices.

If that all works then MM might be worth the cost.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Personally, I'd just use Google if I were using Windows as my primary OS. Actually I do use Google, as well as MobileMe. It's a real mashup of options, but works more or less with OS X.

I can see most of my stuff on most of my stuff. ;)

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far so good. The PC, laptop, and iPad are kept in sync in the cloud. Next will be the iPhone which should be easy.

My wife has her own PC and is getting an iPad and iPhone. She has an account on my laptop. Will she be able to share my MM account with her own member name?

Most reactions

Latest posts