1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Mobile Hotspot on Palm Pre = SLOW

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Sprank1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Sprank1

Sprank1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Verizon Pre Plus with the Mobile Hotspot application and free hotspot service from Verizon (major reason I went with the pre).

When using it with my HP laptop I get great download speeds.
    When using it with my iPod Touch I get lousy download speeds.
    When using it with my iPad I get lousy download speeds.

When I use any of the above devices (Laptop, iPod, iPad) with my in-home wireless router I get consistently good speeds on all three devices.

So -- what conclusion can I draw?

There seems to be something going on with the Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot and the two Apple devices (iPod and iPad).

I tried some suggestions found in various places ...
    renewing lease ...
    setting ip to manual ...

Both of these "solutions" seems to have helped raise the speed a little, but not to what it should be.

I posted this on a continuing thread in the Palm Pre forums at Precentral, and am hoping to find an answer somewhere.

I am hopeful that someone (Apple, Palm, Verizon ...) will come up with a real solution to this problem.
  2. Mastr0

Mastr0 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wasn't aware there was a problem? Works great for me
  3. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    My wife has a Pre. I hacked it and tether to her iPad with no problem. Sorry I can't help you but it sounds like something in the way you have it set up. Bumping and hope someone who had the problem and solved it can help....
  4. Tonychic

Tonychic iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am also having this issue and my connection is actually dropped every few minutes and reconnects. This is frustrating and I've looked all over for a fix....ERGHHH
  5. Bouch48

Bouch48 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pre plus with mobile hot spot

Mine works great when connected but I also lose connection a lot , I also wonder why there is no way to store the passphrase in the iPad so I don't have to keep typing it in.
  6. battie

battie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been researching this as well. The problem is the palm pre mobile hot spot. I've been testing my IPad for several days now and my home network provides awesome speed. The palm sUcks. Which is disheartening because Verizon convinced me that it was the perfect solution for my Work needs. Try downloading a speed test from IPad applications. Cisco "speed test" actually graphs dually results. I intend to continue fussing with Verizon and/or Pre about this. My work depends on it