What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Would You Jump Ship?

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My 64GB WiFi iPad has served me nicely for over a year and I'm anxiously awaiting the iPad 3 to finally get a camera, more speed, 3G, and SD card and USB support (a girl can hope) in a slimmer package.

Upon the announcement of the HP Touchpad, I salivated for a second because I respect WebOS (hate HP) but then decided against it (no 3G yet, few apps, and a bit bulky).

Then I thought about what incentive it would take to make me leave the iOS platform for WebOS or even Android devices. I think would be the same thing that motivated me to get a Palm Pre Plus -- free (or less costly) Hotspot. It is the ONLY device that does that. If HP decides to subsidize a carrier and provide its tablet with no/low cost 3G, I might give it a try.

I doubt that will ever happen so I think iOS will remain in my tablet using future. :p

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Access to file system
SD card slot
USB port

I have an iPad 2 (64GB) and an Acer Iconia Tab, which has Android, SD card slot, full USB and mini-USB ports and HDMI. Frankly, the iPad is still way better overall. Yes, having USB has some advantage, but it's not that great. Most of the time interacting with Apps is what I'm doing and the iPad is just lightyears ahead on that front. If I want to play movies then I can just stream from my Goflex Satellite. Moving files via SD is over-rated.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Getting SD and USB ports in a device is almost guaranteed to make the device thicker. And too many opening is not all that hot either. I find that file transfers via the cloud works well for working on stuff and streaming movies (using something like the Goflex) means I don't need to ever be moving lots of files around.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
USB would be nice, but just look at the acer tab. At least 2x the thickness of the iPad.

Right...I have one of those...and it's heavy too. Run your hands along the sides and it does not feel nice. In contract, the iPad is a slick, sleek device. If you want to be clever, give it thunderbolt and a magnetic connector. We need a fast, close proximity, connection standard. I'm tried of usb ports period.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB is becoming outdated. Too slow to handle today's standards. And my standards. :)

USB 3.0 is going to be a game changer, IMHO. It's not the fastest, but it's super versatile. I still use 3.5" floppies on my midi sequencer, so I'm still marveled by the blistering speed of, well, anything else. :D

Ceteris Paribus, I would take a tablet with USB, SD and plug-ins over one that is not. The reason I still IPad is because it's faster and smoother than tablets with these things, so it's a tradeoff. But if it isn't somewhere down the road, I have zero brand loyalty to Apple.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:
USB 3.0 is going to be a game changer, IMHO. It's not the fastest, but it's super versatile. I still use 3.5" floppies on my midi sequencer, so I'm still marveled by the blistering speed of, well, anything else. :D

Ceteris Paribus, I would take a tablet with USB, SD and plug-ins over one that is not. The reason I still IPad is because it's faster and smoother than tablets with these things, so it's a tradeoff. But if it isn't somewhere down the road, I have zero brand loyalty to Apple.

USB 3.0 a game changer? Do not think so. Now that Apple has released Thunderbolt (developed by Apple and Intel), everyone else will offer it. WAY faster than USB 3.0.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:

USB 3.0 a game changer? Do not think so. Now that Apple has released Thunderbolt (developed by Apple and Intel), everyone else will offer it. WAY faster than USB 3.0.

I'll believe it when I see it widespread. I'll still need USB for all my older devices, anyway. I've always had a precarious relationship with Apple and ports. Insisting I use a 6-pin FireWire with my original iPod. Watching my colleagues run around like chickens with their heads cut off because their MacBook wouldn't connect to the projector, even with their fancy adaptors. :D

But we digress. Any port would be a welcome change on the iPad, though I suspect the Thunderbolt (by the looks of the specs) would be an enormous power drain on a tablet!

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm one of the many Android users that own one iPad, in my case iPad 2. At the beginning I was under the impression that not having sd card access in the iPad was a real pain, however looking back now, I really don't need it. Dropbox and all the other cloud storage that keep popping all ever is just going to make thinks much better and simple.

Summary, not having sdcard is not a deal breaker at all. I do love my iPad 2

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have, this weekend, come up with a solution using a "plug computer" which is very small Linux box with lots of ports and slots (2 x Ethernet, 2 x USB, 1x SD, 1 x eSATA) plus WiFi.

I can connect to it, via iSSH, and copy files every which-way using Linux commands and scripts.

Here's really wild idea. What about a companion device for the iPad that is basically a BlueTooth keyboard + Linux host with various ports and slots. The final piece would be a companion app with a file manager interface that generates Linux commands to copy files as required. I think the Asus tablet has something like this.

Those who aren't interested could stay with the iPad alone, those of us who hanker for hardware I/O options could be satisfied.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC that sounds like the Goflex Satellite.

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might look at the Asus Eeepad transformer. With the keyboard/docking station battery life is approx 16 hours. Saw one at Staples. Sort of nice.

Most reactions

Latest posts