1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Why Would You Jump Ship?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Beryl, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My 64GB WiFi iPad has served me nicely for over a year and I'm anxiously awaiting the iPad 3 to finally get a camera, more speed, 3G, and SD card and USB support (a girl can hope) in a slimmer package.

Upon the announcement of the HP Touchpad, I salivated for a second because I respect WebOS (hate HP) but then decided against it (no 3G yet, few apps, and a bit bulky).

Then I thought about what incentive it would take to make me leave the iOS platform for WebOS or even Android devices. I think would be the same thing that motivated me to get a Palm Pre Plus -- free (or less costly) Hotspot. It is the ONLY device that does that. If HP decides to subsidize a carrier and provide its tablet with no/low cost 3G, I might give it a try.

I doubt that will ever happen so I think iOS will remain in my tablet using future. :p
  2. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Access to file system
    SD card slot
    USB port
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I have an iPad 2 (64GB) and an Acer Iconia Tab, which has Android, SD card slot, full USB and mini-USB ports and HDMI. Frankly, the iPad is still way better overall. Yes, having USB has some advantage, but it's not that great. Most of the time interacting with Apps is what I'm doing and the iPad is just lightyears ahead on that front. If I want to play movies then I can just stream from my Goflex Satellite. Moving files via SD is over-rated.
  4. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Getting SD and USB ports in a device is almost guaranteed to make the device thicker. And too many opening is not all that hot either. I find that file transfers via the cloud works well for working on stuff and streaming movies (using something like the Goflex) means I don't need to ever be moving lots of files around.
  5. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    USB would be nice, but just look at the acer tab. At least 2x the thickness of the iPad.
  6. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0

Right...I have one of those...and it's heavy too. Run your hands along the sides and it does not feel nice. In contract, the iPad is a slick, sleek device. If you want to be clever, give it thunderbolt and a magnetic connector. We need a fast, close proximity, connection standard. I'm tried of usb ports period.
  7. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    USB is becoming outdated. Too slow to handle today's standards. And my standards. :)
  8. antonio107

antonio107 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    USB 3.0 is going to be a game changer, IMHO. It's not the fastest, but it's super versatile. I still use 3.5" floppies on my midi sequencer, so I'm still marveled by the blistering speed of, well, anything else. :D

Ceteris Paribus, I would take a tablet with USB, SD and plug-ins over one that is not. The reason I still IPad is because it's faster and smoother than tablets with these things, so it's a tradeoff. But if it isn't somewhere down the road, I have zero brand loyalty to Apple.
  9. jmbarker

jmbarker iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    USB 3.0 a game changer? Do not think so. Now that Apple has released Thunderbolt (developed by Apple and Intel), everyone else will offer it. WAY faster than USB 3.0.
  10. antonio107

antonio107 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'll believe it when I see it widespread. I'll still need USB for all my older devices, anyway. I've always had a precarious relationship with Apple and ports. Insisting I use a 6-pin FireWire with my original iPod. Watching my colleagues run around like chickens with their heads cut off because their MacBook wouldn't connect to the projector, even with their fancy adaptors. :D

But we digress. Any port would be a welcome change on the iPad, though I suspect the Thunderbolt (by the looks of the specs) would be an enormous power drain on a tablet!
  11. iFrog

iFrog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I'm one of the many Android users that own one iPad, in my case iPad 2. At the beginning I was under the impression that not having sd card access in the iPad was a real pain, however looking back now, I really don't need it. Dropbox and all the other cloud storage that keep popping all ever is just going to make thinks much better and simple.

Summary, not having sdcard is not a deal breaker at all. I do love my iPad 2

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF
  12. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have, this weekend, come up with a solution using a "plug computer" which is very small Linux box with lots of ports and slots (2 x Ethernet, 2 x USB, 1x SD, 1 x eSATA) plus WiFi.

I can connect to it, via iSSH, and copy files every which-way using Linux commands and scripts.

Here's really wild idea. What about a companion device for the iPad that is basically a BlueTooth keyboard + Linux host with various ports and slots. The final piece would be a companion app with a file manager interface that generates Linux commands to copy files as required. I think the Asus tablet has something like this.

Those who aren't interested could stay with the iPad alone, those of us who hanker for hardware I/O options could be satisfied.
  13. blucente

blucente iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Now I like that idea ^+1
  14. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    RAC that sounds like the Goflex Satellite.
  15. nursedude

nursedude iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Might look at the Asus Eeepad transformer. With the keyboard/docking station battery life is approx 16 hours. Saw one at Staples. Sort of nice.
  16. MadChef

MadChef iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    What would cause me to jump ship?
    This is my first Apple product, it is the original. The product has worked flawlessly.
    The only thing that would prevent me from buying another one is Apple's heavy handed dictatorship
    of the App store and iBook store. In app purchases was great for Apple till they had enough products sold
    to change the rules for purchases, I believe it borders on extortion,for customers. Apple's book store is third rate compared to Amazon's Kindle
    or Barnes & Noble's Nook. Yes I know how to make purchases out of app but for me it comes down to principal, and for me that
    trumps product and will influence my next purchase. Although Apple's thumb has not yet killed the apps I've mentioned I believe
    it will be just a matter of time or no more updates of those style apps will be allowed. I've accepted the other shortcomings of the
    iPad with no problems and have adjusted to them, Apple's greed is something I have not.
  17. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I'm sure that you are not alone in feeling uncomfortable.
  18. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Perhaps not alone but definitely a tiny slice of the market.
  19. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Frankly, I don't see another "pure" tablet coming down the pike that would convince me to "jump ship." I'm not looking for a tablet device that tries to be a personal computer. Too many compromises and inadequacies involved. And while I'm an Android fan for many reasons, that platform doesn't offer enough advantages over the Apple ecosystem to compensate for the wealth of applications available for the iPad. Neither, needless to say, does the WebOS.

On the other hand, would I "jump ship" for a PC that comes closer to the functionality of a tablet? That's a tougher question. The Lenovo X220T, for example, is a "convertible" that amounts to a good PC with a touch screen option. And I expect the MacBook Air line to move in the same direction.

Neither option is there yet, though. The Lenovo is a great travel laptop, but it's not a desktop replacement. And that's what I really must have in a laptop. And once that's said, a laptop capable of replacing my quadcore personal computer is simply too unwieldy to be a good tablet.
  20. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thickness is important so I probably should have said "mini-SD" instead. Also, 4G is in order now instead of 3G.