What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G Hotspot

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Will you have unlimited data with the hotspot as well??

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Option of 1, 2, 5, and 10. 10, 30, 50, and 80 dollars respectively.

RedJohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai...I was told by a Verizon rep, that the new Verizon 4G LTE, had a built-in compatible slot that will accomodate any sim card for whatever country you are visiting. Then, she said, "but I have no idea if it will work in those countries as this is all new with Verizon." That's a little too shaky for me. I'm wondering if the Sim card feature with AT&T might not be the safer route for those who travel internationally?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
RedJohn said:
leelai...I was told by a Verizon rep, that the new Verizon 4G LTE, had a built-in compatible slot that will accomodate any sim card for whatever country you are visiting. Then, she said, "but I have no idea if it will work in those countries as this is all new with Verizon." That's a little too shaky for me. I'm wondering if the Sim card feature with AT&T might not be the safer route for those who travel internationally?

I would definitely be going with the AT&T model, it doesn't seem clear as yet how the Verizon model will operate overseas, so not worth the risk. The previous model didn't work in many countries, so it's a giant leap for them here and if their own Sales people can't tell you definitively then it is a much safer route to go with AT&T, you'll have peace of mind this way.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what they are saying right now. A verizon rep told me that it couldn't be used as a hotspot either. I tethered two ipads together yesterday.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sales people are not noted for being very technical. No AT&T sales person knows one way or the other about future plans. Management at much higher levels will look to see if people convert to Verizon for the hotspot feature. If it looks like enough people want this enough to switch, they will consider the cost benefits. Verizon will see how it works out, and if they feel they are losing money, they will bail on the program. Right now, Verizon is counting on people using it for a hotspot to worry about how much data they have. If you go over, Verizon makes money. If you buy a much bigger data plan to avoid the overage charges, Verizon goes to the bank. If they had offered free hotspot in the iPhone, I would have made them a sale Saturday, but they lost out.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Sales people are not noted for being very technical. No AT&T sales person knows one way or the other about future plans. Management at much higher levels will look to see if people convert to Verizon for the hotspot feature. If it looks like enough people want this enough to switch, they will consider the cost benefits. Verizon will see how it works out, and if they feel they are losing money, they will bail on the program. Right now, Verizon is counting on people using it for a hotspot to worry about how much data they have. If you go over, Verizon makes money. If you buy a much bigger data plan to avoid the overage charges, Verizon goes to the bank. If they had offered free hotspot in the iPhone, I would have made them a sale Saturday, but they lost out.

That would have been sweet as I currently tether iPhone to iPad via Verizon; maybe the new model!! Wonder how that would work with a grandfathered unlimited data plan? Currently, I only have 2 GB of data to use with my iPad for 20.00.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My Hughesnet account is for 250mb and it's more than enough. Wouldn't this still be the case using 4G?

I seem to remember someone saying that Hughsnet was 250 MB a day. That would be about 7.5 GB a month. All the AT&T and Verizon plans being discussed are per month.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I seem to remember someone saying that Hughsnet was 250 MB a day. That would be about 7.5 GB a month. All the AT&T and Verizon plans being discussed are per month.

Yes, I realize that I mis-spoke and corrected in previous reply.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RedJohn said:

The website for Verizon confirms hotspot capability. The apple site confirms that there is only ONE New iPad 4G which is worldwide and can handle any sim card.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I realize that I mis-spoke and corrected in previous reply.

Just realized that I was accidentally rereading an older thread from the beginning, and replied before I got to the end. I'm pretty sure you were the source of my 'remembered' info about Hughsnet. Which ironically means I was correcting you with your own correction. ;)

Sorry. :eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts