What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing photos on iPad

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife was taking photos her SD card and some shots of a recent holiday disappeared. I was not watching so do not know what she might have done but she is unlikely to have missed the prompts to Delete or Save. She has done it without problems a couple of times before herself. Some of the shots of her favourite day are gone. The card shows none of them in iPhoto on the desktop either. Its my iPad so I am in deep trouble. Any ideas, please?

xrayeyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you repost with some more info? The iPad does not use an SD card. What was she taking the pics with? The iPad? Do you have photo stream turned on with both devices?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My wife was taking photos her SD card and some shots of a recent holiday disappeared. I was not watching so do not know what she might have done but she is unlikely to have missed the prompts to Delete or Save. She has done it without problems a couple of times before herself. Some of the shots of her favourite day are gone. The card shows none of them in iPhoto on the desktop either. Its my iPad so I am in deep trouble. Any ideas, please?

Hello - as already posted, there seems to be some confusion about the SD card - the iPad can certainly use a digital camera's SD card w/ the appropriate SD card adapter (I've used one on my iPad 2 for 3 years) - SO, I am assuming that is what you are describing?

If so, then there is the option of 'importing' images from the SD card onto the iPad - then, a dialog box appears asking whether to keep the images (or delete them) on the SD card - could the issue be that 'deletion' might have been selected? For myself, I have a LARGE GB SD card in my digital camera and always save the images there - just in case - I'll stop there and let you two decide if this might be the answer? If not, then please post back. Dave :)

OP
P

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman and X-ray eyes - a delay in the notifying post getting to me or me not in tune with the new site methods, sorry. I am grateful for your attempts to help.
She was using the SD adapter, which she has used a couple of times. She knows about the 'delete' button and download sequence, including the option to keep or delete the card, but swears she did not see a 'delete' or any warning.
As this was right after the holiday this was our first load of pictures, so nothing was synced to the iMAc, we would have done that after downloading the pics. In line with Murphy's First Law of Events what she lost was the whole set of pics for the best day of our trip as far as she as concerned.
I have tried the card on the iMac and it is definitely blank for the lost pics. AFAIK on the iPod 'Delete means Delete' so there is no Disc Rescue or view of the Trash to go through.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
giradman and X-ray eyes - a delay in the notifying post getting to me or me not in tune with the new site methods, sorry. I am grateful for your attempts to help.
She was using the SD adapter, which she has used a couple of times. She knows about the 'delete' button and download sequence, including the option to keep or delete the card, but swears she did not see a 'delete' or any warning.
As this was right after the holiday this was our first load of pictures, so nothing was synced to the iMAc, we would have done that after downloading the pics. In line with Murphy's First Law of Events what she lost was the whole set of pics for the best day of our trip as far as she as concerned.
I have tried the card on the iMac and it is definitely blank for the lost pics. AFAIK on the iPod 'Delete means Delete' so there is no Disc Rescue or view of the Trash to go through.

Well - not necessarily, i.e. when files are 'deleted' from a storage device (e.g. hard drive, SD card, etc.) in the standard fashion, the 'markers' to their location are freed up for new use but the data is not erased, thus may still be recovered. The first step is NOT to use the SD card if you want to attempt recovery of the pics (the lost data can be over-written).

Google 'SD Photo Recovery' - there will be plenty of hits, such as HERE - these programs may be free, may be free to examine but not recover data, or may be VERY expensive - you might want to give one a try if the images are really important to you.

NOW - to date, I've not used recovery software on any of my storage devices (and have been computing since 1980), so not recommending any specific program. Let us know what happens - this question does arise occasionally. Dave :)

OP
P

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman
and xray eyes
Huge Thank You! Once I realised that just because an iPad will not show trashed files I could still get them via the actual card on OSX it was straightforward - Googling 'file recovery SD card Mac' and looking on the App Store. 'Ease US Data Recovery Wizard' did it for me in about 10 minutes. One very happy wife and one very relieved husband. Result!

Most reactions

Latest posts