What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An iPad for an old lady

HowardBrazee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting an iPad for my mother for Christmas. I am retired myself, and we both have POP e-mail accounts. She uses her Windows computer for e-mail, games, and buying e-books for her Kindle. She would rather do all of that from her bed, and wants a tablet. The only tablet I'm familiar with is my iPad, and the last time I went on vacation, I didn't turn on e-mail - I don't like not having my Mac's spam checker, or saving the mail messages I want in the appropriate folders, etc. I also like having my iPhoto events from the last year automatically synchronized. I am unfamiliar with competitor pads. (My big issue with my iPad is not being able to store all of my music - and I wish my iPad & iPhone would allow me to copy and paste calendar events)

I expect to get rid of my mother's Windows machine early next year - so she will need an iCloud account to do backups. Meanwhile, I would need to show her how to save photos from her e-mails into her photo app (I assume that isn't too hard, but don't know), and get some easy games for her. And the Kindle app.

And I expect I should get her a case with a build in keyboard.

I'd like some advice on how to do this and to help her use an iPad.

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting an iPad for my mother for Christmas. I am retired myself, and we both have POP e-mail accounts. She uses her Windows computer for e-mail, games, and buying e-books for her Kindle. She would rather do all of that from her bed, and wants a tablet. The only tablet I'm familiar with is my iPad, and the last time I went on vacation, I didn't turn on e-mail - I don't like not having my Mac's spam checker, or saving the mail messages I want in the appropriate folders, etc. I also like having my iPhoto events from the last year automatically synchronized. I am unfamiliar with competitor pads. (My big issue with my iPad is not being able to store all of my music - and I wish my iPad & iPhone would allow me to copy and paste calendar events)

I expect to get rid of my mother's Windows machine early next year - so she will need an iCloud account to do backups. Meanwhile, I would need to show her how to save photos from her e-mails into her photo app (I assume that isn't too hard, but don't know), and get some easy games for her. And the Kindle app.

And I expect I should get her a case with a build in keyboard.

I'd like some advice on how to do this and to help her use an iPad.
Well, unless you are replacing her pc I wouldn't get rid of her Windows machine. The iPad does a lot but it is not going to replace her computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, unless you are replacing her pc I wouldn't get rid of her Windows machine. The iPad does a lot but it is not going to replace her computer.

As always, it depends on what she does with her computer.

Best to be sure though. And since the OP isn't going to do away with the Windows machine immediately, there should be plenty of time to see what she can and can't do on her iPad. Or, more to the point, what she prefers to use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad should do everything she needs. And since she want's one she should be motivated to learn. That's always the biggest hurdle.

I recommend you ask each of the questions/issues you have one at a time, as they become relevant. The way you've presented it, it's kind of overwhelming.

Besides, some of the tasks you've listed are about to become obsolete with iOS 8, soon, and then latter in Spring when the new Photos app comes out. iCloud will also be changed, probably in steps, between those events.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm an old lady who uses an iPad. I Don't have a keyboard and I use voice for writing longger messages. I use it both in and out of bed. I took a class at the Apple store to learn how to use it. When I have a problem I go to the Apple Store they are very kind and explain carefully to this old lady. This forum has also been helpful when I don't know what I'm doing or I forget what I'm doing. I love my iPad; I hope your mother enjoys hers.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea! Of all the tablets on the market, personally, I think the ipad is by far the most user friendly. My Mom is 75yo and absolutely loves her ipad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My mom is 77 and has an iPad 2 and an a mini. She loves them both and still is amazed how much she has learned! She is quite pleased. She also has a desktop which sits on her desk in the family room...she hardly uses it anymore! :)

Jane Brewer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say its good idea. But fully depends on usage, how does she uses the machine and what does do. Replacing a desktop with an iPad will create a little difficulty in starting but later these Compaq iPad will give her real ease in using it and accessing the emails, games and more. Combine with best iPad case she would simply love it. Go get it and train her on how to use it and then your work done.

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please read a post I put on last week very similar. I have know idea how you find it - I'm guessing do a search of my user name and view the last post.

My wife has just spent a weekend with her 78 year old mum and I have to tell you that my wife's old ipad is a big success with her keeping all my wife's music and still being able to use all the FaceTime messaging etc.

I'm sure Marillyn will be able to point you to my request.

I just looked it's below titled
Not trying to break any laws here but

Most reactions

Latest posts