Memory usage

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by vickisman, Mar 2, 2014.

1. vickisman

vickisman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Had to upgrade from a 16 Gb iPad (3 I think) to the 32 GB because every time you get an upgrade to an app it eats up more memory. Now my 32 GB only has about 4 GB free. My discussion question is, "Doesn't an app upgrade ever get more efficient and actually reduce the amount of memory used?" Will I need to upgrade to the iPad Air 64Gb pretty soon. I can't afford it! Let me know what you think.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's rare but there are instances where an updated app made more efficient use of memory and reduced it's total size. In regards to your shrinking free storage space, you've got a tough decision to make, either delete some of your less frequently used apps to free up some storage space or buy a larger capacity iPad.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, you'll need to tell us 'what' is taking up your storage space? Some likely suspects are music, photos, and books/magazines - also, goto Settings > General > Usage (wait a while) and tell us the TOP apps (which will include their data) in the list using your storage. Dave :)

4. willerz2

willerz2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. The only app I've ever personally seen decrease it's size is Zynga Poker. It was about 6 MB, which isn't much considering the app itself only took up about 60-70MB at the time, but usually upgrades means added features or added portions of code or graphics to the app, so it's rare to see an app decrease in size, and even if it does, after a few subsequent updates, it'll return to the pre-shrunken size and will expand/increase again from there