What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marine Corps Aviators Using the iPad in Afghanistan

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
marine_corps.JPG

Aerospace and defence business intelligence website Shepherd reports that USMC aviators in Afghanistan have been using iPads pre-loaded with maps of the area they’re flying over to assist them in the cockpit. According to Shepherd, the marine pilots have been using iPads and iPad 2s with digital maps since last November. The digital maps enable them to search the region by simply tapping the screen, instead of having to work their way through piles and piles of heavy map packs. Apparently the situation in Afghanistan is such that flight crews normally have to carry lots of different map packs that cover the whole country so that they can liaise with troops on the ground.

“It’s a game changer,†Capt John Belsha, a sensor operator on the KC-130J Harvest Hawk, told Shepard. “In the past we have had to carry all the paper charts and the grid reference graphics we use as a reference for the ground forces in the area. If we had to carry every single one of them – we could on the Hercules, we have the room – but if you have a small cockpit like on the Cobra it’s not feasible."

Shepard says that iPads will also soon be equipped on US-based aircraft for training purposes.

Source: iPad proving invaluable for Marine Corps aviators | Shephard Group via 9to5 Mac

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While i'm not in Afghanistan, aviation charts are the number one reason why I bought a Ipad.

WingX and Forflight are two great app's even if they do cost between $75.00 and $230.00 each per year to use.

gcaple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the aeronautical charts for Afghanistan for my iPad? I know the Marines are using iPads with the data on them. I have applied for a pilot position in Afghanistan and would love to be able to use my iPad vs. paper charts.
Thanks

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have checked around and found two maybe's . .. . . .

1. Jeppesen's may have it but I can only find a Window's ver on their web site. This JeppView electronic chart service for Windows contains coverage for more than 25 countries in the Middle East and Southern Asia.

Only $1,328.00 for a years worth of updates

2. Air Navigation is a app that you can find in the app store. While this list charts for a lot of country's, I didn't see any for the middle east.

gcaple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I did look at Jeppesen but they are cost prohibitive. I contacted Foreflight and they said they were not available.
So, I'll keep looking.
Thanks again.

IanM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PodFace said:
Military use for the iPad? Who would have thought?

The Royal Artillery are using them for training at The Royal School of Artillery. When I was there we only had OHP's and felt pens to do presentations with :-(

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts