Losing Wifi connection

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by DeniseS, May 4, 2011.

1. ablazes

ablazes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Change your wifi connection to WEP-64...should work like a charm.

2. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Something changed on mine because when I bought my Ipad it had 4.2 and worked flawlessly . When I upgraded to 4.3.0, same thing. When I upgraded to 4.3.1 the problem showed up, again not just my home network and my wife's same model with 4.2 does not do it. As far as other equipment not having the issue I agree totally with your words and would still be pointing at my router if it was only at home and/or didn't start with an upgrade and/or the exact model with a lesser ios number not having the problem.
    It may very well be the networks but I don't see StarBucks, my local McDonald's, my library, Burger King or Books a Million, my dads next door neighbor (yes I have permission to use his network) doing a firmware upgrade on their network so I can use my Ipad there

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

#12 Mountainbikermark, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. graywolf

graywolf
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Your avatar is bothering me. :)

4. Jeeper

Jeeper
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    When I had these symptoms, it seemed like the iPad, but was not.
    I rebooted the router and everything went back to normal (I.e working just fine).

5. Soupmeister

Soupmeister
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have had the same problem with the drop offs with the ipad2. Never had this with the 1. I've rebooted the router and the iPad and it's been ok for the past 2 days. Now here's the kicker. I'm on a 20 mbps Fiber op network with Bell and the download rates on the ipad1 were consistently 18-20 mbps. With the ipad2 I can't get more than 8-10. Even my iphone 4 gives me over 15 Mbps. I have had this issue with all versions of the OS on this iPad. Can only hope a firmware upgrade will fix the problem. Makes me wish ihad kept the ipad 1. Anyone else experienced this?

#15 Soupmeister, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Grayson. I think it's cute!

7. graywolf

graywolf
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    It's android! :)

8. ipfuser55

ipfuser55
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    In A Nutshell

Your theory is spot on. I was using a Dlink router which has (in no particular order) My TV, Blue Ray DTS system, PVR and PC all wired connections.

A re-boot would restore connectivity to wireless devices... (laptop, Ipad and mobile phone) Purchased a netgear high gain modem / router combo, and have had no problems since. It's all down to the signal strength. Also, if you live in an area where your wireless devices can see many other networks, the one with the strongets signal is often the cause of the issue. Router modem combos are cheap, and it certainly solved my problems!

9. jonof16

jonof16
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello folks! Thanks for the info about resetting the router. I did it and my iPad hasn't dropped off line yet (for several hours).

I hope my connectivity problems are a thing of the past.

You all have a great day!

Jono
    Colorado

10. tmno2

tmno2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I notice one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is wifi signal enhancement.

I replaced the very little antenna that came with my router with a 7dbi indoor omni-directional antenna, which is supplied with a 1.5 m extension cable, allowing a much better placement of the antenna together with a greater received signal strength throughout the extended service area.

I would suggest that you must be sure that your wifi security is enhanced otherwise everybody in the local neighborhood will be hooking into your improved wifi AP.

Additionally while home I generally hook up to wifi in airplane mode, which seems to focus and concentrate the iPad's mind on the job at hand.

I hope this adds to the discussion of possible solutions.