What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Wifi connection

DeniseS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad kicks my wifi connection out. This doesn't happen on my IPhone ever. Does anyone have this issue?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two possible solutions.

First, the easy one....

Try switching the iPad completely off and then on again - it's known to fix a whole load of unexplained problems and even Apple recommend you do this about once a week. Press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears, accept the offer to switch off, wait until the screen goes completely blank, then switch on again by pressing and holding the Power button until the white Apple logo appears. It then takes a few seconds for the iPad to power up and the orientation control is disabled during this time so don't worry.

See if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't one of our other moderators has suggested this...

------------------

This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Col

col.bris, Brisbane Australia

Forum Rules. Please Read.
------------------------------

Hope one of these works for you

Tim

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know whether this is what you're experiencing, but my wifi just stops working occasionally. The symbol is still up in the corner, but no data is transferred. (other wifi devices on the network continue to work). I've found that turning the iPad's wifi off and back on restores the data flow. I've only had this happen on my home network.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DeniseS said:
My IPad kicks my wifi connection out. This doesn't happen on my IPhone ever. Does anyone have this issue?

I have IPad 1. No problems here.

Sent from my iPad 32gb WIFI 3G 1st generation.

iBealicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you keep on disconnecting from your wifi then there's something wrong with your wifi connection. I been using apple gadgets for the past years and never encountered wifi disconnection not unless there's something wrong with my wifi modem.

Sent from my iPad

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iBealicious said:
If you keep on disconnecting from your wifi then there's something wrong with your wifi connection. I been using apple gadgets for the past years and never encountered wifi disconnection not unless there's something wrong with my wifi modem.

Sent from my iPad

True there have times when I had to reboot my computer router.

jonof16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New guy here. New to iPad 2 as well. I'm running 4.3.3 as my operation system and I'm having the standard issue of the iPad losing wifi on my home network. I haven't ventured out of the house yet to see if it stays connected to other networks.

It really seems like whenever it goes into standby mode the connection is lost.

I've gone through the steps of powering down the iPad and also resetting all my network connections.

I read a thread that apple wasn't too concerned about this because it wasn't a big problem. By reading the threads, I think it's a bigger problem than what they think. It would be nice if there was an easy fix.

Anyone out there know of anything else I can do? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jono
Colorado

Reaction score

Sent from my iPad

Mine does it away from home and has no set pattern. Sometimes it does it every few minutes, sometimes not all day, sometimes in the middle of a download/upload.
Mine showed up when I updated to 4.3.1 and my wife's on 4.2 does not have the problem.
When it happens the lights on my wifi router and modem flash for about 5-10 seconds like data is moving at home.
I've tried all the solutions I've seen on this forum to no avail.
When I go to settings the iPad shows it's connected to the network but the connecting icon above it is spinning like it's trying to connect to a network

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
There are a fair few threads regarding iPad wifi drop out.

The problem has to be backwards engineered if a solution is to be found. Which I don't know how to perfectly do. But I do have a theory.....

I do know the only constant in all these complaints is the iPad. Ipad hardwares are the same for every single model. Even the various versions of the iOS don't differ in this respect. So the different item here, the 'spanner in the works', must be the wifi router of the user. this is the only item that changes from user to user and why there's issues.

I've always had perfect wifi reception likely, but in work it can sometimes be dodgy at best. Same for all other fellow employees with their devices. We know this is a wifi router issues.

Don't assume that your router is flawless just because it works on other devices. Or just because it's yours ;)

Apple can't cater perfectly for making a perfect wifi connection with every router. Each and every router follow standards, but there is no set 'must', so components in each manufacturer's routers differ, meaning Apple can only please most of the people most of the time with their divice's wifi equipment. You've either got the right router or you haven't. My last 'cheaper' router was great for my iPod touch, but iffy with my smart phone. I now have a new connection and router and all works perfect. Put my old router back in the mix and it's dodgy again. Try various router security configurations ;)

That's my theory anyway :p

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reading threads since coming on here, the trend has been the router, most of the time, I personally haven't had problems, maybe because it's a BT HOME HUB but I agree with you.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

ablazes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DeniseS said:

Change your wifi connection to WEP-64...should work like a charm.

Reaction score
There are a fair few threads regarding iPad wifi drop out.

The problem has to be backwards engineered if a solution is to be found. Which I don't know how to perfectly do. But I do have a theory.....

I do know the only constant in all these complaints is the iPad. Ipad hardwares are the same for every single model. Even the various versions of the iOS don't differ in this respect. So the different item here, the 'spanner in the works', must be the wifi router of the user. this is the only item that changes from user to user and why there's issues.

I've always had perfect wifi reception likely, but in work it can sometimes be dodgy at best. Same for all other fellow employees with their devices. We know this is a wifi router issues.

Don't assume that your router is flawless just because it works on other devices. Or just because it's yours ;)

Apple can't cater perfectly for making a perfect wifi connection with every router. Each and every router follow standards, but there is no set 'must', so components in each manufacturer's routers differ, meaning Apple can only please most of the people most of the time with their divice's wifi equipment. You've either got the right router or you haven't. My last 'cheaper' router was great for my iPod touch, but iffy with my smart phone. I now have a new connection and router and all works perfect. Put my old router back in the mix and it's dodgy again.

That's my theory anyway :p

Something changed on mine because when I bought my Ipad it had 4.2 and worked flawlessly . When I upgraded to 4.3.0, same thing. When I upgraded to 4.3.1 the problem showed up, again not just my home network and my wife's same model with 4.2 does not do it. As far as other equipment not having the issue I agree totally with your words and would still be pointing at my router if it was only at home and/or didn't start with an upgrade and/or the exact model with a lesser ios number not having the problem.
It may very well be the networks but I don't see StarBucks, my local McDonald's, my library, Burger King or Books a Million, my dads next door neighbor (yes I have permission to use his network) doing a firmware upgrade on their network so I can use my Ipad there

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Last edited:

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I had these symptoms, it seemed like the iPad, but was not.
I rebooted the router and everything went back to normal (I.e working just fine).

Soupmeister

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same problem with the drop offs with the ipad2. Never had this with the 1. I've rebooted the router and the iPad and it's been ok for the past 2 days. Now here's the kicker. I'm on a 20 mbps Fiber op network with Bell and the download rates on the ipad1 were consistently 18-20 mbps. With the ipad2 I can't get more than 8-10. Even my iphone 4 gives me over 15 Mbps. I have had this issue with all versions of the OS on this iPad. Can only hope a firmware upgrade will fix the problem. Makes me wish ihad kept the ipad 1. Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts