What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks Like AT&T is Rolling Out FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
6552-t-ceo.JPG

Well this is a nice present from AT&T just in time for Thanksgiving in the US! MacRumors reports today that AT&T seems to be starting to allow all its customers to use FaceTime-Over-Cellular. You might recall that earlier in the month AT&T said that customers would have to have one of their tiered data plans in order to be able to use FaceTime-Over-Cellular, which is one of the features of iOS 6. Now though, MacRumors says that they have heard from one of their forum members, kre62, that despite the fact that he or she has an unlimited data plan with AT&T, and not a tiered plan, they are suddenly able to use FaceTime-Over-Cellular on their iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. The poster says that the service works “perfectly†over cellular, and confirms that it is not just a one-off as they have checked with co-workers and found that they can all also use FTOC. It seems that the roll out is a little patchy though, and may not have reached some areas, Some people have also reported that they had to restart their phones in order to get the service to work. MacRumors says that it has contacted AT&T to find out if this is actually an extension to the service for real, and not just a glitch, but has not heard back so far.

Source: AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers - Mac Rumors

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This will eat through people's data plan like crazy...then AT&T will make them pay!

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just check my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. It works now. Even though I'm grandfathered with both I really don't think I need it.
I guess it's nice to know it's there.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's good that AT&T has finally seen the light and made FaceTime over cellular available to all it's customers.
I've had free FaceTime over cellular since September, up in Canada. You don't want to make too much use of it, however, unless you've got an unlimited data pan like I do.

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This has not been rolled out to my iPad 4. Turning on "wifi over celluar" gets me a message that I don't have an eligable data plan.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dragon499 said:
Can't figure out how to edit this. Meant to say, "facetime over celluar."

This is the iPad news section, for some reason you aren't allowed to edit your posts in this section.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works for me, but not a big deal. I used Skype on 3G. Good to have a fallback, I guess. I have unlimited data.

Most reactions