What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cellular iPad Mini and iPad Fourth-Gen Get Possible Release Date

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great. Then you'll be able to take it traveling, which is ideal for LTE. Have you decided on a data plan?

Not yet...but I'm likely....going to go with the share everything, 6GB @ $140, plan with 3 devices. But I might decide to have two devices...not sure why I really need 3 yet. Or I might stick with what I have now. Thing is, every time I go on travel I want the LTE on for sure...and I like to get coffee on weekends with it on...the mini is way better for that!

I was in the apple store this morning...there was a big crowd of older ladies surrounding the mini table...not sure if there were a group or not, but they were all lovin on the mini. I stood there and watched the CC come out and the boxes leave the store. :) These ladies had to be mostly 50+ too.

I wanted to see how the finish was holding up on the black version. All of the ones they had out looked to be holding up pretty well. Of course, they have wooden tablets and some kind of neat stand...so no metal in sight to scratch them up.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not yet...but I'm likely....going to go with the share everything, 6GB @ $140, plan with 3 devices. But I might decide to have two devices...not sure why I really need 3 yet. Or I might stick with what I have now. Thing is, every time I go on travel I want the LTE on for sure...and I like to get coffee on weekends with it on...the mini is way better for that!

I was in the apple store this morning...there was a big crowd of older ladies surrounding the mini table...not sure if there were a group or not, but they were all lovin on the mini. I stood there and watched the CC come out and the boxes leave the store. :) These ladies had to be mostly 50+ too.

I wanted to see how the finish was holding up on the black version. All of the ones they had out looked to be holding up pretty well. Of course, they have wooden tablets and some kind of neat stand...so no metal in sight to scratch them up.

iPad demographics skew older, so that sounds about right with the crowd of older female buyers.

If you're going to use a case, is the finish likely to take a beating?

I'd guess that whatever device you'd take out most would be one that you'd want a data plan for. That's partly why I'm not buying a mini -- I want my full-size iPad for travel because of maps, so I keep my tablet data plan going, and I need my phablet data plan. I don't want to spring for another data plan that I probably won't use much, for a mini.

Looks like my Kindle Fire HD will arrive before my iPad. iPad isn't to arrive till Monday, but Fire is due Friday.

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad demographics skew older, so that sounds about right with the crowd of older female buyers.

I'd guess that whatever device you'd take out most would be one that you'd want a data plan for. That's partly why I'm not buying a mini -- I want my full-size iPad for travel because of maps, so I keep my tablet data plan going, and I need my phablet data plan. I don't want to spring for another data plan that I probably won't use much, for a mini.

Looks like my Kindle Fire HD will arrive before my iPad. iPad isn't to arrive till Monday, but Fire is due Friday.

I would hope that the case isn't going to beat up the finish. I bought the Smart Case for my iPad 4th gen, and I'm really hoping I won't have to switch to just the smart cover and be extremely careful to not drop it. Then again, my original iPad just has a neoprene sleeve I keep it in (no screen protector), and in the 2.5 years I've had it it doesn't have a single scratch from use or accidental damage.

Depending on what carrier your data plan is from, you should look into the Data Sharing. While my iPhone 4S currently has unlimited data, I only use about 1.5G a month when I use the crap out of the 3G, and that's when I'm streaming music and looking up stuff on the internet constantly. You wouldn't necessarily need an 'additional' data plan with the shared data pool, it's just $10 a month for each additional device. That's definitely how I'm going to switch my plan over come later this month, it makes the most sense.

As for your delivery date, you must live in a place where it's tough for FedEx to get to you. My order shipped on the 12th, and says it will be here on the 16th at 10:30am. Last update was in Anchorage, AK and it shipped from Chengdu, CN.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hope that the case isn't going to beat up the finish. I bought the Smart Case for my iPad 4th gen, and I'm really hoping I won't have to switch to just the smart cover and be extremely careful to not drop it. Then again, my original iPad just has a neoprene sleeve I keep it in (no screen protector), and in the 2.5 years I've had it it doesn't have a single scratch from use or accidental damage.

Depending on what carrier your data plan is from, you should look into the Data Sharing. While my iPhone 4S currently has unlimited data, I only use about 1.5G a month when I use the crap out of the 3G, and that's when I'm streaming music and looking up stuff on the internet constantly. You wouldn't necessarily need an 'additional' data plan with the shared data pool, it's just $10 a month for each additional device. That's definitely how I'm going to switch my plan over come later this month, it makes the most sense.

As for your delivery date, you must live in a place where it's tough for FedEx to get to you. My order shipped on the 12th, and says it will be here on the 16th at 10:30am. Last update was in Anchorage, AK and it shipped from Chengdu, CN.

I have grandfathered unlimited on phone and iPad, and I pay less than $80 total a month, and I use a lot of data, so I'm not eager to switch to a shared data plan, which would cost more. I figured that if I were to add another data plan at low cost, I'd probably still be better off if I used it only occasionally.

I live in a major metro area, but have requested a hold at a FedEx office because I'll be away from home. My iPad left Chengdu and Anchorage already, too. I figure it'll show when it shows. I'm actually more eager to receive my Kindle Fire HD. This will be my third iPad, not courting iPhones and iPods, so not especially excited. Spoiled, lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Would love to hear your impressions of the Fire HD. I assume it is the larger one.

No, generally speaking the finish won't take a beating when inside a case. But I wanted to know how easily it can get scratched up. I do get bored looking at the same case all the time so I swap them from time to time. I will eventually have several different cases. If you remember when the iPhone 5 came out people were claiming theirs got beat up before they knew it...since I'm thinking I might sell the mini to get one with a retina, I'm super paranoid about this. I've been thinking about adding a skin to the back to when I have it out of the case it is protected. Also, the current case I have now leaves the sides/edges of the device exposed, so under certain -- probably slim -- circumstances, it could get dinged. BTW, the iPhones in the store were holding up well, too, but again there is no metal around to ding them. Just wood and plastics.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would love to hear your impressions of the Fire HD. I assume it is the larger one.

No, generally speaking the finish won't take a beating when inside a case. But I wanted to know how easily it can get scratched up. I do get bored looking at the same case all the time so I swap them from time to time. I will eventually have several different cases. If you remember when the iPhone 5 came out people were claiming theirs got beat up before they knew it...since I'm thinking I might sell the mini to get one with a retina, I'm super paranoid about this. I've been thinking about adding a skin to the back to when I have it out of the case it is protected. Also, the current case I have now leaves the sides/edges of the device exposed, so under certain -- probably slim -- circumstances, it could get dinged. BTW, the iPhones in the store were holding up well, too, but again there is no metal around to ding them. Just wood and plastics.

I read about some iPhone 5s arriving scratched from the factory, so I was wondering whether there were quality control probs.

Strange thing with my iPod touch 4: I use TPU backs on my devices, yet touch somehow got a giant scrape on its back. I can only machine that something might've gotten between TPU back and the touch, then friction. It doesn't matter because I'm casual about devices as long as they keep working. If I planned to resell anything, I'd start with a skin and then add a case that covered everything, including corners.

I originally ordered the 9" Fire, but just changed to a 7". My motivator: The other day, I figured out how to rig my Levo stand with an iPad, my Fire original 7" and a Jambox BT speaker all at the same time, so I can watch a movie and surf from the stand, lol. So I decided to get another 7" Fire so I can switch off between two iPads, two 7" Fires and two Jamboxes whenever they need charging. I'm going to give my iPad 1 to my husband. His only tablet use is streaming radio while cooking, so he started using my old iPhone 3G after we recently gave away his iPad 1 to someone who'd get more use out of it. But now he says the 3G takes like 10 seconds to load his radio program, lol. Also spoiled.

I'm not sure my Kindle Fire "review" will be much use to you; I use my current Fire mostly to read books and stream movies, so I'm not using most features. When I surf or use apps at home, I prefer a bigger screen, so I use iPad. And when I'm on the go, I prefer Galaxy Note 5" unless I've got an iPad with me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ha! I figured auto-incorrect! :)

I'm mainly curious about what you think about the screen and the speed. And the weight and interface. I still have my Fire, though I'm thinking about passing it on to my brother. I heard it can be rooted and Jelly Bean put on, but I think it is a bit heavy. I'm also going to pass on my Acer Iconia to my brother for a gift. That thing has many useful features, but it too is a clunker.

Last night I got the Jelly Bean 4.2 update on my Google Nexus 7. It is a nice little thing with a nice looking screen...the new $299 model will have 32GB and some form of cellular. Not a bad deal. The size of it makes it great for watching movies in bed.

I can't seem to figure out my final Android solution. It is way more confusing than iPad land! I just feel like I need a full-size Android device....if I could find the Asus Infinity Pad or whatever they call it, on sale, I might settle for that. So 4 or 5 tablets ought to be enough to cover work and most of my house. If Samsung would sell that Note 2 without the phone, then I'd jump right on that. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha! I figured auto-incorrect! :)

I'm mainly curious about what you think about the screen and the speed. And the weight and interface. I still have my Fire, though I'm thinking about passing it on to my brother. I heard it can be rooted and Jelly Bean put on, but I think it is a bit heavy. I'm also going to pass on my Acer Iconia to my brother for a gift. That thing has many useful features, but it too is a clunker.

Last night I got the Jelly Bean 4.2 update on my Google Nexus 7. It is a nice little thing with a nice looking screen...the new $299 model will have 32GB and some form of cellular. Not a bad deal. The size of it makes it great for watching movies in bed.

I can't seem to figure out my final Android solution. It is way more confusing than iPad land! I just feel like I need a full-size Android device....if I could find the Asus Infinity Pad or whatever they call it, on sale, I might settle for that. So 4 or 5 tablets ought to be enough to cover work and most of my house. If Samsung would sell that Note 2 without the phone, then I'd jump right on that. :)

With the new Fire, battery life is my key priority. My original gets about 7 hours while streaming movies. The new model is supposed to get 11 if I remember right, but I figure it'll be less for movie streaming.

I'm debating whether to get a full-size Samsung tab. I'm waiting to see about MS Surface pro. I want a full-size tab that supports SD cards.

I think Samsung sells a version of Note without phone, as some kind of MP3 device, but haven't been following. I'm guessing that there are Notes for sale cheap now that Note 2 is out. I love the size and could see one as a remote-control/media controller even without phone.

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that was unexpected. I just got mine delivered a minute ago. Lightning fast shipping!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 4 4G is on a delivery truck headed toward my city, according to tracking. But the estimated delivery date is still Monday, lol. Makes no sense. If it's where tracking says it is, it's about 30 minutes from my house.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got my mini....it came a day early! Cool beans.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 4 4G is on a delivery truck headed toward my city, according to tracking. But the estimated delivery date is still Monday, lol. Makes no sense. If it's where tracking says it is, it's about 30 minutes from my house.

It can show up early!

Most reactions

Latest posts