What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked out twice!!! How do I fix?

Stockmoose16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No idea why this keeps happening, because I have not set up a password lock for my Ipad, but twice over the past day when I turn the device off using the switch on the top right, I come back to the screen asking me to enter a password after I swipe my finger to unlock. Yesterday I had to run a "restore" out of Itunes to fix the problem, and I do not want to do that again.

Why is this happening and how do I fix the problem? My Ipad is unusable.

digriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 ideas

1. You are having it sync to Exchange and Activesync is forcing a policy to force a password
2. Something has turned on Auto-Lock under Settings - General

If you run a restore it puts everything back including the password....

OP
S

Stockmoose16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 ideas

1. You are having it sync to Exchange and Activesync is forcing a policy to force a password

In regards to point #1, I am syncing with Exchange, but I've been getting mail for hours without a problem. I also receive mail to the Blackberry Enterprise Server. If Activesync was forcing a policy, wouldn't I be getting locked out every time my email tries to sync?

In regards to point #2, I've looked at my settings and no password has been set, nor have I previously set one.

It seems that this only happens after I hit the on/off/sleep button on the top right of the device (though admittedly, it doesn't happen every time, so it may be coincidence). Anyway, how do I go about troubleshooting? I called Apple and their agents seem absolutely clueless.

I was told to try to use the "transfer" button in Itunes when the password lock came up, but when I did that, the screen just toggled on for a brief flicker, then turned off. Nothing transferred. How do I ensure that if this happens again, I don't lose all my apps, and more importantly, all the settings that I've spent hours calibrating within the apps?

OP
S

Stockmoose16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 ideas

Okay, I think you are onto something actually. I went to my Exchange account on my Ipad and turned SSL off, it then prompted me to enter a new password and confirm it. I did so, then immediately hit the on/off/sleep button. I then immediately hit the on/off/sleep button again and it prompted me to enter a password. The password that worked was the one I just entered for the Exchange account. So, my next question is, why does it only ask me to enter a password after I hit the on/off/sleep button? Is there any way to make it stop asking for a password altogether?

digriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is also activated against Exchange. When I activated it with ssl enabled of course. It prompted me for a password. I put in a standard numeric password.

Pretty sure, It locks immediately after you hit the top switch even if you have been using it. That is working by design and activesync policy

Might want to check this setting
If you go into the Passcode Lock screen.

There is an option, Require Passcode that can be set to immediately, after 1 minute, after 5 minute, or after 15 minutes.

alybrenston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Updated the ipad software to ios5 and finally finished reloading all the apps and configuring Exchange. I went to bed and this morning the ipad asked for my password when i turned it on. I put in my regular 4-digit numerical unlock code and nothing. After trying my itunes password and every other password, i was locked out for 5 minutes, then 15 minutes then 60 minutes.
Fearing that my iPad was about to be turned into a brick, i stopped by here and as soon as i saw "Exchange" I figured that must be the password that this thing is looking for. Entered it and viola... Thanks

Todd83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated the ipad software to ios5 and finally finished reloading all the apps and configuring Exchange. I went to bed and this morning the ipad asked for my password when i turned it on. I put in my regular 4-digit numerical unlock code and nothing. After trying my itunes password and every other password, i was locked out for 5 minutes, then 15 minutes then 60 minutes.
Fearing that my iPad was about to be turned into a brick, i stopped by here and as soon as i saw "Exchange" I figured that must be the password that this thing is looking for. Entered it and viola... Thanks

Okay, same thing here, woke up to a pw screen and had keyboard instead of number pad. My password for Exchange is not working either though.
Any way to disable or restore it without?

Todd83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, same thing here, woke up to a pw screen and had keyboard instead of number pad. My password for Exchange is not working either though.
Any way to disable or restore it without?

Never mind, I'm an idiot. Forgot I had this one synched with different account....;)

Most reactions

Latest posts