What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little help, can you steam itunes with jailbroken ipad?

bigdummy82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this site and am very interested in jailbreaking my ipad. I know that before IOS 8 came out, you could put itunes movies on an external hard drive and stream them to your iPad which saved memory. after IOS 8 you can't do that anymore. I am wondering if by jailbreaking my iPad I can once again stream iTunes from an external device? I have 2 minis with 16 gig of memory and would love to put all my movies in one place and have the kids be able to stream what they want to watch instead of having to download one at a time off the cloud. I tried searching for this without luck.
Thanks for your input.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The description of what you want to do is unclear. There was never a standard way to stream iTunes on an iOS device from an external hard drive. All the methods that I know of were thrid party solutions, and whether they are supported in iOS 9 is up to those third parties.

There are several things that you might be talking about, but describing them as streaming from an external hard drive would be inaccurate.

ITunes Sharing allowed you to stream music from your computer iTunes library to your iOS device.

There are thrid party ways to stream music from the computer (or a specialized serer) to the iPad, but they don't normally involve iTunes.

There are third party wi-fi networked hard drives that, in combination with an iOS app, can stream music to the iPad. They have little to nothing to do with iTunes.

Without knowing the exact method that used to work, there is no way of determining whether it can be made to work again. However, no matter the method, it is highly unlikely it needed, or would need jailbreaking to work. Apple has no policy again's streaming music, and supplies plenty of legitimate ways to accomplish it.

OP
B

bigdummy82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I had a Kingston portable hard drive that made its own wireless connection. I would download itunes movies to this hard drive and store them there. When we went on trips I would power up the hard drive, connect an iPad to the wireless network broadcasting from the drive and then play movies from the hard drive right onto the iPad without having to actually download the movie onto my iPad. This was worked until Apple came out with IOS 8. After that it would not work. I contacted Kingston and they said that Apple changed something in their IOS so people could not play iTunes movies without them being actually loaded onto the Apple device.
My question is, can an iPad that is jailbroken connect to an external wireless hard drive and play movies that are downloaded on that drive and not downloaded on the actual iPad. This was a great way to store movies without taking up a ton of space on the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Now I understand, and I don't think you are going to find a solution to this.

It sounds like the Kingston app was using a loophole in Apple's iTunes store to do something Apple would not normally allow, copy and play iTunes contnent from a third party app & device, so Apple plugged it. Because nearlly all movies in iTunes are DRM (Digital Rights Managment) protected, it should not be possible to copy and play them outside the Video app on the iPad.

There are several reasons why Apple might want to do this, some legal and some financial. It's probably a bit of both.

If you are talking about other movies, that are not iTunes/DRM, then they should still work as long as the developer updates their app for iOS 8 & 9.

Most reactions

Latest posts