Latest OS versions - discussions

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by KevinJS, Dec 3, 2016.

1. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Apple released security updates for iPad and iPhone (13.5.1), the Apple Watch (6.2.6), the HomePod (13.4.6) and tvOS (13.4.6).

There’s also a supplemental update for macOS Catalina, and a security update for High Sierra.

#281 J. A., Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Boy, Apple is really getting irritating w/ these updates constantly! :mad:

Just did my 2 iDevices (Susan's 2 to go) - the DL is small and quick and the whole process done in a short time - again, back up your devices before applying the update. Dave :)

3. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    >>Boy, Apple is really getting irritating w/ these updates constantly!
    Quite agree. Still a security update can only be important to us all.

BTW, usually I can get a good idea (I think) of an imminent update as there is a burst of app updates, which I see as I check the updates manually each morning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Quite agree (to the bold above) - I pretty much do them w/i a day or two. :)

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Well even more Apple annoyance! Wife got an alert on her iMac about a 10.15.5 Supplemental update (not even worth a secondary number change) - so just finished updating her computer plus my two laptops - kind of annoying when the macOS version doesn't even change! :rolleyes: :cool:

ADDENDUM: more from MacRumors HERE - mainly a security issue and a recommended update.

#285 giradman, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Coming from Android devices, I wouldn’t consider Apple’s updates an annoyance, especially when it’s a security update. You get the update at the same time everywhere, immediately.

I still remember how it worked with my SGS 3:
    In case Google released an Android update, you had to wait. If you were lucky, the update would get to Europe a few weeks after its official release date. Not every country got the update at the same time. Usually, Austria came quite late, after Poland, if memory serves right. You then had to wait for Samsung and your carrier to push the update to your device. That means an update could take from six weeks to 2 or 3 months here in Austria to get to your Android phone, if your device was eligible. My last Android stopped receiving updates after 2 years.

7. ITg33k

ITg33k
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yup.

Or, put another way: Yes, they are kind of annoying. (Particularly WatchOS updates, which, on my Series 1, Gen. 2, take forever and a day.) But I'll gladly suffer the annoyance, compared to using an OS which, on many devices, sees updates only erratically--or not at all.