What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

large attachments won't open

peacock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

If I receive mails with large attachments, especially PDF en ppt they won't open.
First there is an arrow in the icon, can click on it (if I hold it normally I get THE question where to open it with but not with these files) , it starts to download but after finishing it still has the arrow.

It's only with files larger than 1 Mb but not always. It looks as if it has to do with the content.
Opening on Windows is fine. It is quite irritating because I receive my work mail on THE iPAD and, in these cases, still has to startup my laptop ( and that takes ages....)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wijbrand

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what are you using to open the file? i find goodreader to be the most capable at opening files.

OP
P

peacock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have goodreader, docs to go and Readdle but THE point is that It doesn't go to THE point that it can open the attachment.
For word there should come an icon with à W in it, for ppt à P but it stays an arrow.

Funny thing is that à college of mine can open the file on his IPAD.
Don't understand what there can be configured with mail. We checked the mail setting within settings.

I'm lost ...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

If I receive mails with large attachments, especially PDF en ppt they won't open.
First there is an arrow in the icon, can click on it (if I hold it normally I get THE question where to open it with but not with these files) , it starts to download but after finishing it still has the arrow.

It's only with files larger than 1 Mb but not always. It looks as if it has to do with the content.
Opening on Windows is fine. It is quite irritating because I receive my work mail on THE iPAD and, in these cases, still has to startup my laptop ( and that takes ages....)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wijbrand

Hi, Wijbrand -

What happens to me is that the e-mail (and its attachment) doesn't actually download to the iPad until you "ask" it to. So, I think you need to do a two-step process for your e-mails:

1) Select the attachment as normal. As in, press on the arrow. If you look closely, you should see it downloading the attachment.

2) After it's done, press the attachment again. Now, you should get an option to "Open In..."

Or, at least that's what I experience on big attachments... I use Google Mail if that makes any difference.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

OP
P

peacock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

I did try that. It does start to download but after finishing (i mean the counter Goes to the Mb size of the file) it still gives the arrow. With smaller files it gives the W or P but here only the arrow.
Also , by holding the arrow, the question with what to open, doesn't come.
there is also THE option (at the bottom of THE mail) to download the attachment with à seperate bullet. If I do this THE mail sort of crashes. After "restarting" it has no messages and has to download them All from THE server.

Regards,

Wijbrand

OP
P

peacock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried using dropbox?

I don't think you understand THE issue? Or is it that I'm not clear?

To put attachments on dropbox you first have to be able to download them.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried using dropbox?

Instead of mailing yourself the file, you could use DropBox on the computer to sync the file to their server. Then you can use the DropBox app on the iPad to download and OpenWith.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but you've got me stumped. I've never experienced this issue. If possible - maybe a qick trip to the experts at the Apple store?

Sorry I couldn't help.

Marilyn

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
peacock said:

understand it pretty well, as marilyn said we didnt experience an issue like yours. if you could put the files in dropbox using pc. you can access those files , download them directly to docstogo and goodreader.

or you could reset all mail settings.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the OP is getting the attachments from someone else then its not about emailing to self or synching to dropbox. They are trying to avoid starting up laptop in the first place.... I get that from the conversation, I think. Here's my two cent suggestion.. either remove the mail account then reboot ipad and then reset up the mail account and see if you have problems. Try a different mail address (does your friend use the same service?) And last idea is to check if your mail server has an online option see if you can get the attachments that way or if you have the same problem. IE: I use Comcast. I can go to comcast.net via Safari and check my mail manually... see if you can get the attachments in that manner (even if just for trouble shooting purposes.)

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ I get that from the conversation as well. Having the email forwarded to MobileMe's me mail (or having the email sent to that address in the first place solves that. If the OP isn't using MobileMe, establishing a free account with either service should do it, though file sizes and immediate storage is much smaller than MobileMe's.

Not sure why one ipad user can open up a file of the same size while the other one can't. To the OP: does the other person have more free drive space than you do, or are they using a cloud based storage/server? Either way, I'd suggest setting up a free account with dropbox or a free MobileMe trial account and start there.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, as a work around, you can e-mail the file you can't open to Dropbox?

To do: Go to "Send to Dropbox" (Send To Dropbox - Email files to your Dropbox!) and get a Dropbox e-mail address. Then, you can forward the problem e-mail attachment(s) to Dropbox - it goes into a folder called "Attachments."

Maybe then you'll be able to, at least, open it. Or, at least have another shot at trying to open your attachments...

Marilyn

OP
P

peacock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

it has to do something with my IPAD because à college of mine can open the file on his iPAD. We use Exchange active sync to access workmail.
I compaired all the settings I could think of with his iPAD.
On regular PC outlook it works fine so its not related to à personal setting in my workmail.

Perhaps I just should reinstall the Exchange active sync allthough, mailing the document to my private mailaccount and opening that one on the iPAD doesn't work either. The problem is there from the moment I got the IPAD, the os4 upgrade didn't change anything regarding to this.

Regards,

Wijbrand

Most reactions

Latest posts