What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pdfs corrupting when sent to ipad

modelcars87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we are having an issue where users are sending pdfs from their ipads and when users try to open them, receive an error message stating

"acrobat could not open 'xxx.pdf' because it is either not a support file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

to create an adobe pdf document, go to the source application. then printer the document to adobe pdf'

no issues if we send these pdf files from a windows based machine (users are able to open the attachments just fine if sent from a pc). so if i were to send the pdf from my pc to another user, they don't have any issues opening on their computer. just whenever we send the initial pdf from an ipad (forwarding, etc) we receive these issues where the file corrupts

i've tried to download alternate pdf viewers with no luck

i've also ruled out our mail server as a potential cause (in case something was corrupting it during sending)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by;

to create an adobe pdf document, go to the source application. then printer the document to adobe pdf'

Could you explain it in more detail?

There are quite a few methods you can use to generate a PDF on the iPad, depending on the source app. In some apps the option is built in. In other's I've used PDF Converter by Readdle, and at home I will sometimes use AirPrint and Printopia (on my iMac) to print a PDF directly to a DropBox folder.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to clarify, you are sending the PDF from an iPad to an iPad via email? My question would be:
1. What app are the PDFs in before sending? Is this also the app that is creating the email and attaching the PDF? Talk us through the steps to get the sending happening.

I know that if you are merely forwarding an email with attachment already in place from within the stock mail app, there can be issues with it corrupting the attached file. This may be because the attachments have not fully downloaded from your mail server to the iPad. Not sure if this is what your trying to do.

OP
M

modelcars87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, just to clarify

we have users that are able to check their emails on their ipads (lotus traveler). they are also able to check their email from a web based site as well (so they can access it from IE, etc).

when we open an email on the ipad with an attachment, then forward it to someone else (say, a windows based user) the windows based user is unable to open the attachment. we receive this error:

acrobat could not open 'xxx.pdf' because it is either not a support file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

however, if we go onto a windows based machine, logon to the web based email, and forward this attachment to another user, the attachment opens fine

basically, when we forward an email attachment from an ipad the attachment gets corrupt. if we forward it from another source, like web mail on a PC, it does not corrupt. just wondered why its corrupting when we send from ipads

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen this happen when my boss forwards an email to me, the attachment, whether a PDF or an office document, seems to be corrupted. He is sending from his iPhone.

I don't know if he has allowed the attachment to fully download before forwarding, which I suspect is the case.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would do tests forwarding the same email, firstly, without the attachment fully downloaded, then make sure it's fully downloaded and try again. It's just a theory at this stage, it may not be the reason at all.

Are they using a corporate email server like Exchange? It could be how the iDevice communicates with the mail server, and finding that common denominator like a certain mail server with iOS devices may also be a potential cause.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it happens with various email server types, then it's likely a quirk with the Mail app itself. I've never looked into it in any detail, I just assumed my boss was doing it wrong ;) it may need a little more investigation.

OP
M

modelcars87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i will try to make sure the attachment is fully downloaded before the user forwards it to anyone

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another option is to change your user's habits. Instead of having them send attachments, they could use DropBox, Box, or another cloud file service and send share links instead. The emails arrive faster, and the recipient can download the file at their leisure on the the client of their choice.

This works especially well for larger files, which email has never handled well.

Most reactions

Latest posts