Kindle Books On The iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by BK, Feb 3, 2011.

1. BK

BK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello All,

I'm brand new here so please excuse me if this has been discussed before. I am a kindle author and avid kindle reader. I'm about to purchase the iPad for my personal use and I'm wondering if I get some feedback on how Kindle books read on the iPad. I'm particularly interested in the differance between reading books on a kindle compared to reading them on the iPad.

Thank you!
    William L.K.
  2. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    I've only tried the Kindle at Best Buy but buy most of my books to read in the Kindle store. I like reading them in the Kindle app better than as a hardcover or paperback. I read quite a lot and like that I can read at night in bed without lights, either in night mode (white on black) or normally but adjust the contrast. I usually read it as a 2 page rather than one block of text.

I know that Kindle advertisee that you can read it in full sun but I live in the South and NEVER read in full sun LOL. I read at our pool in the summer all the time in the shade. I like the font sizing, the contrast control and the size. In truth I found the Kindle a bit small. Love the highlighting and notes and that it syncs with other devices with the Kindle app like my Touch. Sorry I can't really compare but having looked at dedicated ereaders I don't have much interest in them. BTW I carry my Ipad with me all the time in my handbag which is only medium size.

Diane
  3. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I have heard a lot of people claim that reading on a Kindle is more natural, but as someone who often read using flashlights, that is not a plus. I have no reading issues. Why should I, since working on the computer does not bother me. My only issue is that I often do not read on my iPad as much as I would a Kindle, because of all the other things it can do.
  4. corjusmom

corjusmom iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a Kindle befor the ipad but it broke so that why I bought the ipad (along with other reasons but that was the biggest one). I love reading on the ipad vs the Kindle. The screen is easier to read on and you can change the color of the background ( I personally use the sepia because its better on my eyes). You can also read landscape style so you can read two pages at a time. The ease of use is great except for purchasing books. On the Kindle you can just purchase a book from the store or at the end of a sample but on the ipad you have to go out and go thru amazon. That's not a big problem but easier on the Kindle. I have ibooks and nook app too but Kindle is my favorite. Keep up the great work!!!
  5. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    As an owner of both a Kindle DX and an iPad, I consider the Kindle the superior ebook reader, as it causes less strain on the eye during long reading sessions.

You seem to be interested in the differences. There aren't that many, as the Kindle app has a very similar layout to the Kindle itself, however the Aa menu on the Kindle app is somewhat limited, as it is missing the "Words per line" and "Text to speech" option. You will also find that the two largest font sizes are not available. What is unique for the Kindle app is the option to have text show in two columns while in landscape mode. Other than that, there aren't many noteworthy differences.
  6. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Eye-strain seems to be a per user issue. I do not experience any eye-strain using the iPad. That will be something you will have to find out on your own.

The major + to the iPad is you have access to all the reader apps and libraries save Sony. But really, who has a Sony reader?
  7. WannaBeMac

WannaBeMac iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was going to get a Kindle for my birthday, but heard too many stories about them breaking. Like deckyon I find the access to all reader apps and library is a huge plus for me.
  8. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    IPad superior

I barely touch the Kindle since getting an iPad. It's a far superior reading experience. My only concern is that highlighting and note taking is harder on the Kindle app for iPad where it's super easy and functional on the iBooks app. Amazon needs to get that worked out. I have to hit the screen many times to highlight in the kindle app but only once or twice in the iBooks app. Even so, all the books I buy now from kindle go to the iPad. It's the wave of the future.
  9. Slygrin

Slygrin iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have both the Kindle 3 and iPad. For normal reading I prefer the Kindle. It's much lighter and easier on my eyes. I also prefer the page buttons over touching the screen to turn a page. I do use the iPad for PDFs and books with pictures. I'm also glad that there is a choice, not everyone's preferences are going to be the same. For me I would not want to give up either of them.
  10. jcbeam19

jcbeam19 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had the Kindle 2 since it came out; I love my Kindle! I am the new owner of an iPad and love my iPad too! Since I have not fully become familiar with all the tricks of the iPad, I'd vote Kindle as my preference mainly because of the built-in dictionary and the ability to review what a book is about (it's 3G) if it was a long-ago purchase. I switch back and forth between the two now for reading, but must admit I've been too busy playing with the iPad and my reading has suffered. I thought I'd have trouble with the back light, but I don't and it is convenient at night. I love the visual on the iPad!!!

To the poster who said reading with a lamp/light attached to the Kindle is not natural, sure it is; you don't read a DTB in the pitch black; some sort of lighting is necessary. The "more natural" comments on a Kindle refers to the e-ink as opposed to the iPad's back light. I do not foresee lugging my iPad however to the beach, the pool, the gym, etc., to read, whereas would take my K2 in a heartbeat due to the portability.

They are both great, enjoy them!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  11. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The Kindle app on the iPad also has a built-in dictionary.
  12. jcbeam19

jcbeam19 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it did or didn't 'cuz I really haven't dedicated a lot of time familiarizing myself with the App itself, too busy playing w/too many other things ;)
  13. BK

BK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW! Thank you all so much for the feedback. I think I'm totally ready now to take the plunge. I love my kindle, but I have a feeling I'm going to like reading on the iPad just as much, if not more.

Many thanks!
  14. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are buying an iPad for the purpose of reading Kindle books you might want to hold off until we see how Apple's new (edit: newly applied) app guidelines affect things. I'm not trying to scare you off, but big changes could be coming next month and it would be a shame to drop $500+ and not have Kindle support a month later.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  15. BK

BK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dave, thanks for the heads up.
    Please keep me posted.
  16. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Kindle app on both my iPad and my Droid phone. Both devices sync to the kindle library so all my books are available on both devices. I will say...and this may sound odd...I read more on my Droid phone than I do on my iPad. I always have my phone with me while the iPad is not always with me. And as stated in one of the first responses there are just too many other options to do other things on the iPad.

Nate
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  17. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I have my Kindle Books on: iPad, iPhone, MAC, and Tablet PC netbook! iPad is the one I read them on unequivocally the most, but it's not odd at all that you cite your Droid phone. Just like you said-it's always with you. My iPhone is always with me, and I do read books on it at times, but usually I am using it for the phone, a quick look up of something , game apps if I'm in a waiting room at a physician, and also productivity apps of bill paying, etc. iPad I use for e-reading, comfy web surfing in bed, note-taking at work, PDF annotation and other things too. In a way, I just cited how the iPad really is not just a "big iPhone" for me.
  18. thekarens

thekarens iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Nook, not a Kindle, but reading on the e-reader is far superior to the iPad. I love my iPad, but when it comes to reading the Nook or Kindle is the way to go. It's easier on the eyes for long term reading and it weighs very little.
  19. Lorie

Lorie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a number of kindle books on my ipad. What I don't know how to do is save my kindle books on my pc. When I sync my ipad with my pc everything else I have (movies, photos etc) sync but not my kindle books. I can't find them anywhere on my pc. What do I have to do to back them up on my pc?
  20. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    You cannot backup Kindle books via iTunes.

If you want to read kindle books on your pc, you should download the Kindle program, as it allows you to download and read all purchased kindle books.

But if you just want to back them up, there is little need, as the books are stored by Amazon and can be re-downloaded free of charge as many times as you want.