What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and kindle use

Golfchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I'd appreciate anybody's replies on a musing of mine. I currently use a kindle to read my books but I've just bought myself an ipad2 as well and I'm wondering, with the use of the kindle app, whether the two will communicate or sync up so books will appear on both assuming they're ones I've bought from the amazon store and tehn know where abouts I'm upto in the book. Will i have to chose which books to appear but not repay for them? Will I have to turn the wifi on on my kindle so it'll know where I got up to? Cheers!!

M

Manou

You need to turn the wifi on on your Kindle to sync the books (go to the menu on your Kindle, choose 'turn wireless on' then choose 'sync items') - like that you can read them on both devices.
You will not need to pay for the books you purchased on Amazon again - you'll find them under archived items on the Kindle App for your iPad. You can then decide which books to download from there onto your iPad.
I love my iPad, but I prefer to read on my Kindle - it's easier on the eyes for me.

OP
G

Golfchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'll use the kindle more for reading but when going somewhere on the train etc I won't want to take both devices nor search forever to find the page I last read to! Is there an option on the kindle somewhere to auto sync after a certain period of time to save me having to remember to do it

M

Manou

I'm not sure about autosync - but basically all you need to do is to sync after you've done reading.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The battery life on the kindle is immense (assuming its not a fire), at least 3-4 weeks between charges even with wifi on. E-ink is really efficient for power use, as it only really needs power to build the page.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Auto syncing between all your instances of Kindle (iPad, iPhone, Kindle) is just about the greatest thing ever. I love not having to worry about bookmarks.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Auto syncing between all your instances of Kindle (iPad, iPhone, Kindle) is just about the greatest thing ever. I love not having to worry about bookmarks.

I agree and to cripple this function because your worried about battery life doesn't seem right to me, especially as explained the kindle has a really long battery life anyway.

OP
G

Golfchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find the kindle battery life gets reduced quite a lot for battery life if wifi is turned on but I'll just have to suck it up so I can share the position between them and just start takin the charger to work with me in case of flat batteries

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Leave the Kindle's wi-fi on at home. Turn it off when on the road. That simple. Unless you have a 3G Kindle the wifi isn't much use when you are away from your home network (and power adaptor) anyway; unless you hunt down a free hotspot and connect it isn't going to sync anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts