What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard dock or separate dock and blutooth keyboard?

Gen from Oz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to get one for faster typing! Does anyone have opinion on whether to get dock and keyboard separately or buy the combo one? ALSO - I have an IPad 1 - are these compatible with Ipad2 if I go that way?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to get one for faster typing! Does anyone have opinion on whether to get dock and keyboard separately or buy the combo one? ALSO - I have an IPad 1 - are these compatible with Ipad2 if I go that way?

I have the dock and an iPad1. I keep my iPad in the standard Apple case. The problems with the keyboard dock and the standalone dock (i.e. without the keyboard) are

(a) the iPad cannot be fitted into the dock with the case on. The thickness of the case means it cannot be inserted into the 'slot' (recess) that supports the iPad when it's in the dock. You have to remove the iPad from its case. Now, this might not seem like such a big deal, but the Apple case is a very 'snug' (i.e. tight) fit on the iPad and it's difficult - well, at least, not easy - to remove it.
(b) the iPad only fits into the dock in portrait mode, so you can't type in landscape orientation.

So, I virtually never use my keyboard dock. Instead I purchased a foldable Bluetooth keyboard. Advantages?

(a) no need to remove the iPad from its case to type
(b) can type in portrait or landscape mode
(c) it's foldable so easy to take with the iPad and use on trains, planes etc. The keyboard dock doesn't fold and is too cumbersome to carry casually.

Regarding the iPad2, the dock connector is the same as the iPad1 but the iPad2 is thinner, so it wouldn't be properly supported in the dock, since the slot would be too wide. Of course, with a case, maybe it would fit.........

Enjoy your iPad and have fun....

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts