What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep my iPad 3 and give son an iPad mini?

vindle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Forgive any errors in this, my first post please
My son has saved enough to buy a iPad mini. I have a iPad 2 and thought he could buy this one for the same and I buy myself the mini. I would be quite happy with the smaller screen but should I hang on to the 2 and let him get the mini?
Cheers

Big error sorry - it is an iPad 2 not 3. two 2 222 not 3. Sorry

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Suffice it to say even with all opinions said it's still your decision on what you want your son to have. Do you want him to have the 3 or the mini? If size isn't a matter than keep the mini and give your son the 3.

It's your call do what you feel is the best interest for your son.

Edit-Your thread title says 3 but your post says you got the 2 which is it?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he really should get what he wants, as he did save the money. Now, you can get a mini too, if you want one.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he really should get what he wants, as he did save the money. Now, you can get a mini too, if you want one.

I agree...the more the better! I really wondered how I would use both my ipad 2 and the mini but I find having both a definite advantage! Your son might find it much easier to manage the mini in terms of size and weight.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both my iPad3 and my iPad mini. The mini is perfect as a reader but too small for comfortable web surfing and marginal for email sending. After reading several books on the mini I find the 3 uncomfortably large/heavy as a reader.

OP
V

vindle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be the mean old man deciding for him. He is still only 10 and I need to mediate him spending all that money to a certain extent. Thanks for pointing that out though. I have asked him if he would like the iPad 2 (it's a 2) for its bigger screen as he will play lots of games and he really likes writing and said he might like the bigger keyboard.

Big part is i don't want him to buy the 2 and loose out on software upgrades etc as its getting on. This was more my point. I will buy myself an upgrade eventually but he won't really be able to afford it as easily.

More concerned about when is the 2 going to get too old.

Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be the mean old man deciding for him. He is still only 10 and I need to mediate him spending all that money to a certain extent. Thanks for pointing that out though. I have asked him if he would like the iPad 2 (it's a 2) for its bigger screen as he will play lots of games and he really likes writing and said he might like the bigger keyboard.

Big part is i don't want him to buy the 2 and loose out on software upgrades etc as its getting on. This was more my point. I will buy myself an upgrade eventually but he won't really be able to afford it as easily.

More concerned about when is the 2 going to get too old.

Thanks

iPad mini is the newer of the two devices, and has better guts overall (though they share some older guts). The iPad 2 is already the more outdated of the two. iPad mini's screen also is slightly better. Seems to me you'd be getting the better end of the deal by "mediating" his purchase, even though it's money he saved, if you made him buy your old device.

OP
V

vindle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not all that bad. I will show him this thread. Thinking he might be better off the mini too. Besides I need the big granny screen. Will update this when I have to.
Cheers

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He's 10. He needs to be parented. I personally think he should not have to spend the full amount out of his money and be "helped" by the parent and then the decision should be made together. End of the day, he 10. IMO.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He's 10. He needs to be parented. I personally think he should not have to spend the full amount out of his money and be "helped" by the parent and then the decision should be made together. End of the day, he 10. IMO.

Some people have more sense at 10 then some twice their age, so I wouldn't use age as a strict guide. As a 10-year-old, I saved (adjusted for inflation) more than what an iPad mini costs, and my parents let me spend it as I wanted, because they knew I had sense. Sometimes, being a parent is letting kids make reasonable choices. A kid who can save enough for an iPad has already shown how to focus on a goal and achieve it, by delaying gratification. That's more than some adults can manage.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget that he might also want a case and some apps, too, so the saving might not be done quite yet. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts