1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Just FYI...charing the iPad via USB

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Matth3w, May 26, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Everyone figured out the day of release that the iPad was not charging on many USB ports...unless you had a new MacBook or Mac.

I am here to tell you that it DOES charge, even if barely so, and even if it says it's not.

Last night I went to bed and left my iPad hooked up to my computer. It said not charged. It was at 37%. This morning, about 5.5 hours later, it was at 86%. So obviously it is just a tiny trickle charge, but it does, in fact, charge even when it says it is not.

I figured this out by accident the first couple days I had the iPad but since I'm just now starting out on this forum I thought I would mention it just in case it hasn't been mentioned before.

EDIT: DAMMIT I missed the G in charging in the title, can a mod please fix that? Obviously we don't want to char the iPad.
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, it will trickle charge.... Even if it says "not charging". It says that because the USB port is not giving it the full 10 watts it needs for normal charge.....

And yes, been discussed before, but no harm bringing it up again for new users.
  3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. FrostyFire

FrostyFire iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Apparently even if it says it's not charging, it usually is, just very slowly.
  5. GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    And it works like a champ.