What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad not charging via USB? Check here

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad_usb_not_charging.jpg

In scouring the net for news on the Apple iPad (since, you know, I was unable to get Saturday delivery on mine) I ran into quite a few complaints of people saying that their USB ports would not charge the iPad.

Keep in mind, all USB is not created equal. Some USB ports only provide 500mA of power, the iPad needs a full 1000mA of power to charge.

Check the specs on your USB ports before getting to worked up on why your iPad won't charge, it will likely end up being a power problem on that USB port only.

Hope this helps.

(Source: Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Charging the iPad: Hit or miss)

DanaNgidhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_usb_not_charging.jpg

In scouring the net for news on the Apple iPad (since, you know, I was unable to get Saturday delivery on mine) I ran into quite a few complaints of people saying that their USB ports would not charge the iPad.

Keep in mind, all USB is not created equal. Some USB ports only provide 500mA of power, the iPad needs a full 1000mA of power to charge.

Check the specs on your USB ports before getting to worked up on why your iPad won't charge, it will likely end up being a power problem on that USB port only.

Hope this helps.

(Source: Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Charging the iPad: Hit or miss)

I kept seeing (Not Chargng) too. However, I had already charged mine while I was at the beauty parlor. When I unplug it from the computor, it says "100% charged."

Dana

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a powered USB hub that will supply the required 1000mA (1A) so the iPad will charge? I need to get a hub anyway so I might as well get one that is iPad friendly. TIA ;).

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Charger

Does anyone know of a powered USB hub that will supply the required 1000mA (1A) so the iPad will charge? I need to get a hub anyway so I might as well get one that is iPad friendly. TIA ;).

it depend on witch hug you have :

1) cheap one 4 port (can't give you 1000mA
2) better one 4 port with external power can charge two iPad from only one charger
3) top one 8 port with external power can also work but with iPad charger as source

Not so many 3party USB charger have 1000mA capacity (we have two in preparation)

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I only need a four port hub. When do expect to have yours ready for sale?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This should be stickied so that people can find it easy. ;)

thankfor the idea Abble, but honestly i am here more as Apple fan than a producer/developer, i enjoy to read and share my knowledge ... if i can help that it's already enough for me

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the ipad will not charge while syncing. I am unsure about when not syncing as we will not receive ipads in Australia until.
See report from Ifixit
"On average, the device "sips just 2.5 Watts. That's 1/5 the power of a compact fluorescent bulb," the report states. Even so, the larger battery demands more charging power than standard USB ports provide. It needs its included 10 watt charger, and won't charge while syncing with a standard USB-equipped Mac or PC. "
in other words use power adapter suplied to charge the ipad

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the ipad will not charge while syncing. I am unsure about when not syncing as we will not receive ipads in Australia until.
See report from Ifixit
"On average, the device "sips just 2.5 Watts. That's 1/5 the power of a compact fluorescent bulb," the report states. Even so, the larger battery demands more charging power than standard USB ports provide. It needs its included 10 watt charger, and won't charge while syncing with a standard USB-equipped Mac or PC. "
in other words use power adapter suplied to charge the ipad

i won't enter in technical details, but you are wrong all is based on the ''charging'' management ... believe me for almost two month we know witch battery the iPad will carry so we know well the management system iPad need

Most reactions

Latest posts