Jailbreak no longer working on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by battery111, Mar 17, 2012.

1. battery111

battery111
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Will do. I'm not giving up hope yet. I figure the only thing missing is corona. Has to be. Therefore there should be a way to reinstall corona without needing to restore. Biggest frustration is my iPad is only partially capable right now, since safari doesn't run.

2. Gzoladz

Gzoladz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You are better off than I was then...my ipad didnt even started. It showed me briefly the password screen and then it rebooted again, in cycles.

I hope you are luckier than I was. Also, one of the reasons I had decided not to buy the ipad 3 was because I did not want to be waiting for the jb, but that reason is no longer valid :)

3. battery111

battery111
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm the same way. If I can't get this resolved I may just take the plunge.

4. owensky

owensky
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem but mine worked but wouldn't sync with iTunes and all my content showed up as "other."

5. Gzoladz

Gzoladz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This merit a warning or a sticky as there must be a lot of users who got affected by this xcon update.

6. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just want to explore this a little deeper. I am an xCon user. I too have updated with the most recent version over the weekend on both jailbroken iPad (1 & 2) and both phones (iPhone 4 & 4S). As a test I also installed it on my wife's iPad and iPhone.

At no time did the update remove Corona from any of my devices. It is not listed as a dependency on the package. I don't understand what went wrong in your situations. Can you all confirm the version number and the repo you have xCon installed from please? One of the repos may have a bad package.

In Cydia, you can easily add the Corona untether package back to your device. If Cydia is not working, you can use redsn0w to perform a tethered boot by going to Extras > Just boot in redsn0w. Then Cydia will work until you get Corona installed.

I also want to know when you install Corona, whether or not it says it will remove xCon. If it does not, then xCon was not the problem.

Look forward to your answers.

7. Gzoladz

Gzoladz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi there, when my ipad was prompted to update xcon and I clicked upgrade, I got the usual screen where cydia says what package will be installed. It also said it would remove corona, and other package starting with a B (but I can not remember the name). That is the moment whenI clicked too quickly as I should have stopped there.

I can not remember from what repo I installed xcon, and I can not check now for obvious reasons. It was deffo one of the usual ones.

After the upgrade, I got the usual click to reboot and that was the end.

Also, hours before I had modified the file to allow the latest upgrade of imovie being on 5.0.1. I wonder if that has anything to do.

#17 Gzoladz, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  8. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And so there's your problem. You made your iPad think it is on 5.1 and Corona is coded to be dependant on 5.0.1 ONLY. Nothing to do with xCon. You should always learn about the consequences of hacking plists before you do it and never blindly click confirm!

9. gresh14

gresh14
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Think xcon also caused an issue I had this morning. My iPad was running slow Suomi rebooted and that was it, it stayed stuck on the boot logo and wouldn't do,anything else so had to restore and lost the jailbreak- soon enough they will have the new jailbreak oh well....

10. Gzoladz

Gzoladz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So by hacking the plist cydia would have prompted me to remove corona regardless? Thanks for that, it is all learning.