Jailbreak no longer working on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by battery111, Mar 17, 2012.

1. battery111

battery111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I've had my iPad 2 5.0.1 jailbroken with Absinthe since the day it was released. No issues until yesterday. Restarted and it booted as if it was semi-tethered. Safari crashes on open, none of my tweaks working, etc. Tried restarting again, same thing. Tried hard reset, same thing. Thought maybe I could use redsnow to "just boot" so I could get in there and figure out what was wrong but it won't support my iPad 2. Tried re-jailbreaking with absinthe but it won't because it says I'm already jailbroken. Any ideas what happened and what I can do to fix it? Apple is no longer signing 5.0.1 so I really don't want to restore. Is there something I can do with the Corona Injector CLI to fix it?
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    Did you install any Cydia tweaks just before this started? Sometimes, this type of behavior is from the iPad trying to run incompatible tweaks... IOW, what were you or the iPad doing just before your latest restart?

Can you get to Cydia? If so, I'd recommend you uninstall the latest tweaks you've put on (or all of the, for that matter). Even if nothing was recent, they may just have decided to not run correctly, or play well together.

Then, if the UNinstallation makes the iPad "behave," then you can try putting them back one at a time.

Sorry you are having the troubles. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn
  3. Bluray

Bluray iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I also encountered issues a few times and as Marilyn explained, remove the last Cydia tweak and all should be fine again.
  4. battery111

battery111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately I can't run cydia to uninstall, and don't believe my ssh server is running either. The last tweak I installed was the patch for the directv app. Would love to uninstall it but can't figure out how to do it.
  5. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    Can you put it into Safe Mode? That'll calm it down enough to where you can get to Cydia (access it by finding it in Spotlight).

Marilyn
  6. Bluray

Bluray iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You can also try file explorer on your PC and try to locate the file if all fails. Hope you come right.
  7. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Something similar to this happened to me. The turning point was when I updated xcon today. Cydia actually advised it would uninstall corona and I pressed ok too quickly :)
  8. battery111

battery111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe the xcon issue mentioned is what happened to me. When I get home I'll see if I can get into safe mode and reinstall corona. If not is there a way to reinstall corona using the cli jailbreak tool?
  9. battery111

battery111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no joy putting it into safe mode. SSH isn't working so I'm unable to trigger it that way, and sbsettings is obviously not working as well. I really hope I have not put myself in the position where I need to restore to 5.1 and say goodbye to being jailbroken anytime soon.
  10. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well we are two now...I even tried to go back to 4.3.3 but it did not work for some reason.

Very silly on my side. I was not careful enough.

Let us know how you get on.
  11. battery111

battery111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will do. I'm not giving up hope yet. I figure the only thing missing is corona. Has to be. Therefore there should be a way to reinstall corona without needing to restore. Biggest frustration is my iPad is only partially capable right now, since safari doesn't run.
  12. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You are better off than I was then...my ipad didnt even started. It showed me briefly the password screen and then it rebooted again, in cycles.

I hope you are luckier than I was. Also, one of the reasons I had decided not to buy the ipad 3 was because I did not want to be waiting for the jb, but that reason is no longer valid :)
  13. battery111

battery111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm the same way. If I can't get this resolved I may just take the plunge.
  14. owensky

owensky iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same problem but mine worked but wouldn't sync with iTunes and all my content showed up as "other."
  15. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This merit a warning or a sticky as there must be a lot of users who got affected by this xcon update.
  16. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Just want to explore this a little deeper. I am an xCon user. I too have updated with the most recent version over the weekend on both jailbroken iPad (1 & 2) and both phones (iPhone 4 & 4S). As a test I also installed it on my wife's iPad and iPhone.

At no time did the update remove Corona from any of my devices. It is not listed as a dependency on the package. I don't understand what went wrong in your situations. Can you all confirm the version number and the repo you have xCon installed from please? One of the repos may have a bad package.

In Cydia, you can easily add the Corona untether package back to your device. If Cydia is not working, you can use redsn0w to perform a tethered boot by going to Extras > Just boot in redsn0w. Then Cydia will work until you get Corona installed.

I also want to know when you install Corona, whether or not it says it will remove xCon. If it does not, then xCon was not the problem.

Look forward to your answers.
  17. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi there, when my ipad was prompted to update xcon and I clicked upgrade, I got the usual screen where cydia says what package will be installed. It also said it would remove corona, and other package starting with a B (but I can not remember the name). That is the moment whenI clicked too quickly as I should have stopped there.

I can not remember from what repo I installed xcon, and I can not check now for obvious reasons. It was deffo one of the usual ones.

After the upgrade, I got the usual click to reboot and that was the end.

Also, hours before I had modified the file to allow the latest upgrade of imovie being on 5.0.1. I wonder if that has anything to do.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  18. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    And so there's your problem. You made your iPad think it is on 5.1 and Corona is coded to be dependant on 5.0.1 ONLY. Nothing to do with xCon. You should always learn about the consequences of hacking plists before you do it and never blindly click confirm!
  19. gresh14

gresh14 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Think xcon also caused an issue I had this morning. My iPad was running slow Suomi rebooted and that was it, it stayed stuck on the boot logo and wouldn't do,anything else so had to restore and lost the jailbreak- soon enough they will have the new jailbreak oh well....
  20. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    So by hacking the plist cydia would have prompted me to remove corona regardless? Thanks for that, it is all learning.