What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

itunes icon on initial start up

coreybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my first ipad 2. However in trying to set it up I can't seem to get past the itunes icon on initial start up. Probably a simple solution I just don;t know what I'm doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A new iPad needs to be plugged into your PC or Mac initially and you must have the latest Apple iTunes software installed on that PC or Mac. There is absolutely no way around this initial step. If you don't have the latest version of iTunes, you can download it for free from the Apple website. If you don't have access to a Mac or PC, then any Apple Store will do this for you.

This step will initialise your iPad and transfer your email settings, contacts and other files from your PC to the iPad. It takes only a couple of minutes but saves a whole load of time subsequently - you won't have to manually set up your email etc.

After this initial connection between your PC and iPad there is, theoretically at least, no need for them ever to be connected again - but most people do, in fact, connect them occasionally, if for no other reason than to back the iPad up.

If you have any further questions about how to do this, don't hesitate to contact us....welcome to the Forum.....

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
A new iPad needs to be plugged into your PC or Mac initially and you must have the latest Apple iTunes software installed on that PC or Mac. There is absolutely no way around this initial step. If you don't have the latest version of iTunes, you can download it for free from the Apple website. If you don't have access to a Mac or PC, then any Apple Store will do this for you.

This step will initialise your iPad and transfer your email settings, contacts and other files from your PC to the iPad. It takes only a couple of minutes but saves a whole load of time subsequently - you won't have to manually set up your email etc.

Tim

yes, first off you need to plug your device into a computer running an up to date version of itunes.

but i got a question about something you said, specifically....

This step will initialise your iPad and transfer your email settings, contacts and other files from your PC to the iPad.

eh? this didn't happen for me. not manually or automatically.
after initialising my device my contacts list on my ipad2 is currently empty and my 3 or 4 email settups i had to do manually from scratch. i have synced over some apps, vids and music, but nothing else has gone over. :(

which beckons the questions, where would my pc get my contacts and email info from in the first place to copy it over? how would the pc know?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

yes, first off you need to plug your device into a computer running an up to date version of itunes.

but i got a question about something you said, specifically....

This step will initialise your iPad and transfer your email settings, contacts and other files from your PC to the iPad.

eh? this didn't happen for me. not manually or automatically.
after initialising my device my contacts list on my ipad2 is currently empty and my 3 or 4 email settups i had to do manually from scratch. i have synced over some apps, vids and music, but nothing else has gone over. :(

which beckons the questions, where would my pc get my contacts and email info from in the first place to copy it over? how would the pc know?

If you use Windows Mail as your email client and Internet Explorer as your web browser it will copy over the mail accounts that you have set up in Windows Mail as well as the Contacts list that you use. Similarly it will copy over your Internet Explorer bookmarks.

If you use Web Mail, then clearly it can't do this.

Tim

OP
C

coreybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have downloaded the latest version. When I'm in itunes I click on the itunes store and my system tells me that an error has occured and that I should check network connections. I know I'm able to get on the internet as I already have pages open. Gonna go to the Apple Store at lunch today and see if maybe they can help?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have downloaded the latest version. When I'm in itunes I click on the itunes store and my system tells me that an error has occured and that I should check network connections. I know I'm able to get on the internet as I already have pages open. Gonna go to the Apple Store at lunch today and see if maybe they can help?

Did you connect your iPad to your PC with the supplied USB cable? If so, what happened? It should take you through the initialisation and setup procedure.

Tim

OP
C

coreybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

I did connect to my pc at home with the supplied USB cable and nothing happens, other than it recognizes the ipad as a camera/scanner and asks which application I want to use to open it. None of them apply. I then go to programs and open itunes and that's as far as I can get. Thinking I should go to the itunes store I click on that and it tells me that an unexpected error has occurred, check network connections. I'm not able to connect to the internet thru itunes? I am baffled. I will say this, I'm not technologically advanced.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - try this. Disconnect the iPad. For good measure restart the PC. When the PC is up and running start iTunes before you plug in the iPad. When iTunes is running then connect the iPad. See if that changes things. Get back to us and let us know and we'll work on this until it's fixed! Are you running Vista or Windows 7?

Tim

riko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I had the same problem as the OP but I took the time to come back and tell you it worked!

cjsta87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, so glad i was not the only person with the itunes icon they couldnt get past! My question is tho, as my itunes is on a computer that is communally used, how do i NOT get the outlook emails and stuff on there? I really dont want half the stuuf thats on there cos it isnt mine! Is there a way i can do that?

cheers caity

Most reactions

Latest posts