What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 3g gps not working

chrisfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought a new ipad 2 32gb 3g. I do not have a sim card inserted. I cannot get the gps function to operate.
When I start the maps app I do not get the gps "arrow" icon up, and it says it can't find my location. I have location services on for the maps
app. I have looked online for a possible solution but to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

iriskiki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chrisfoot said:
I have just bought a new ipad 2 32gb 3g. I do not have a sim card inserted. I cannot get the gps function to operate.
When I start the maps app I do not get the gps "arrow" icon up, and it says it can't find my location. I have location services on for the maps
app. I have looked online for a possible solution but to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don't you have to have a sim card inserted to be able to activate Internet?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
C

chrisfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I have read you do not need a 3g connection for the gps function to work. I have an iphone 4 and as soon as I start the maps app on that I get the gps icon up at the top of the screen whether I have a connection or not.
I think you only need a connection to actually download the map info, not for the gps to operate, I assumed it would be the same on the ipad. It seems that the gps is not actually starting up.

OP
C

chrisfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just taken it outside and lo and behold it has worked!

I was under the impression that as soon as you started an app that uses gps you get the location services arrow come up at the top of the screen, then it searchs for a fix, like on my iphone 4, but it seems it needs to get a fix before the arrow displays. Maybe it's because it has not had a fix before as it is just out of the box.

Anyway problem solved.

Most reactions

Latest posts