iTunes, how do I do a manual check for update

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Janset, Sep 30, 2015.

1. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To complement tp's excellent advice above I trotted over to my PC which, like yours, is also running on Win10 and took some shots of the PC screens:
    Pic1 shows a partial list of the Windows apps that are available for download onto my PC. (Tap the Windows Start button at bottom left hand corner and choose the Apps option)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679379.211980.jpg
    Pic2 shows my PCs wallpaper with the iTunes app sitting thereon which I had downloaded in the past and periodically updated.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679491.170788.jpg
    Pic3 shows the screen that comes up when I tap that Windows iTunes icon. As a number of members have helpfully suggested above, tap the "Help" button up top.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679761.805323.jpg
    Pic4 When you tap on the Help button you get the following drop-down box, so tap on "Check for Updates"
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443680323.921503.jpg
    The last pic then shows that, on my PC, I have the current version of the Windows iTunes app.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679975.359460.jpg
    Hope that may assist:)
    Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

#11 The OB, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys.

I do not know where you got your iTunes from, or maybe more to the point where did I get my iTunes from because they are not the same.

Reading through your excellent tutorial and pictures I can safely say that I do not have the desired menu bar with the said functions ANYWHERE on my iTunes panel !!!!!

It is simply missing. I have tried clicking on anything and everything just in case it was hidden, but no joy at all.

I am stumped as to what to do now.

Regards

3. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi there again .

If you care to click your link that is just above this entry, for the iTunes- download, you will see some picture grabs of the iTune panels. They are exactly like mine, the 6 or so entry items, File,Help etc that you and other forumites suggest, you will see that the picture grabs reveal that these panels also have File, Help etc missing, just like mine.

I managed to find out what version of iTunes I have by going to the Program and Features (add/remove) window from Control Panel and there listed was the installed iTunes showing Version 12.3.0.44, the latest one.

But if I had a choice, I would still like to have the missing items.

Regards

4. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As indicated in my last post, did you download your iTunes app onto your Windows10 machine from the WINDOWS App store? It's a WINDOWS app which is simply downloaded onto your WIN10 PC. If you did that I must say I'm stumped as to why you are not seeing the tabs I photographed off my PC.
    Andrew

5. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I believe the menu bar may be hidden in iTunes (by default?). Not having a Windows machine I cannot suggest the method for unhiding them, but it may be just a matter of hovering over the area or clicking a certain icon to reveal the menu.

6. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    The iTtunes that I am using is via an icon on the desktop and also located in the Apps section of my Windows 10.
    My Windows 10 was an upgrade from the Windows 7 OS. As far as I can remember, I downloaded my original iTunes via a Google search some time ago when I purchased my iPad. At the time I did that, that was the only way to get iTunes onto a Windows PC, and over time I simply upgraded iTunes as they came along.

Regards

7. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have clicked anywhere and everywhere to see if there was a way of opening the hidden Menu, (if that was the case) but if there is in fact such animal, then it has beaten me because I simply can not find it. I found the hidden menu bar in Internet Explorer without any problem, but as for iTunes????

Regards

8. rasmith1959

rasmith1959
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you can't see the menu bar there are two ways to show it. First is by pressing CTRL-B to toggle the menu bar on or off. The other is by pressing the ALT key to show it temporarily.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

9. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Roy, you are a God, a man amongst men, a giant.....is that a bit over the top?

As you may have guessed, that did it CTL + B is the way to go.

I also thanks every one that contributed by posting suggestions.

Thanks again.

10. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL ya just gotta agree!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443762884.646376.jpg
    This kind of willingness of members to help others is what makes this forum great, and why I enjoy it so much. Difficult problems that crop up here don't seem to take that long to resolve. The impossible ones take just a little bit longer:)
    Andrew