iTunes, how do I do a manual check for update

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Janset, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

How do I make a manual check to see if there is an update waiting to be installed.

I have read that I have to load the iTunes page (from the app) which I have done.
    I am advised that I should then click the Help button and select Check for updates.

Great, but when is the help button?

I cannot find it anywhere in my open iTunes panel/window.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

2. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to go to iTunes. Just check straight off your iPad by going into Settings and hit the "Update" button. That will tell you whether an update is available for you or whether your operating system is up to date.
    If you need to you can update OTA (over the air) or connect your iPad to your computer which needs to have the latest version of iTunes on it. Then update that way via iTunes, but it would be prudent to back up your iPad first (you'll also see that option in iTunes up top). During any update don't remove the USB cable.
    Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

#2 The OB, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi there.
    I am sorry but I did not explain my self. What I really need is, how can I check to see what version of iTunes I have at the moment loaded onto my PC and how can I then update iTunes if need be.

Regards

4. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gosh, to be honest I don't use my desktop computer (now with Win10) that much these days as I'm finding my iPad Air2 meets most of my on-line needs. I know that whenever I go to iTunes on the PC after some time, I've received a message that a further iTunes download is available and I download as a matter of course.
    Go into iTunes on your computer and right click on that. You should be able to establish the version or whether an update to it is available that way. Let's know how you get on. I may be running out of puff on this but there are some pretty (some are:)) cluey people here who are bound to have answers for you.
    Andrew

5. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi there.

Nope, I have looked everywhere on every panel that I found to open within iTunes. Nowhere did I find anything as to where I might find the version of iTunes that I am currently running let alone to check for updates. I read somewhere recently on this subject and it advised that I should click on "Help" and then click "Check for updates" whilst in the iTune site.

Well he is a better man than I am Gungedin! I can't even find the said Help button within the site. :(

Regards

6. eddieg

eddieg
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Open iTunes on your computer then click the help button at the top left of the screen.

7. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    In the last version of (PC) iTunes I've seen, after you open iTunes but not going to the "store", their should be "file" "edit" "help" etc on the top left of the screen. You would click on help, on the bottom I believe you can select "check for update" or "about" I think to get your version.

8. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Another thing, different iTunes versions can have different layouts so what you see and what I see may be different.

9. Janset

Janset
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

Again nope.

If you are referring to File, Edit,History,Bookmark Tools and Help items located in the top left corner, these are not part of the iTunes display. These item belongs to the browser you are using, ie.Internet Explorer or Firefox, "Menu Bar". If I click the Help tag of this Menu bar, what I get relates only to the browser that I am using at the time.

When iTunes is loaded, there are no such tags or headings as described above.

Regards

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    In the iTunes Menu (just left of the File menu) choose About iTunes. The current version is at the beginning of the credits; which may take a few seconds to scroll into view.

You can check this against Apple's iTunes download page to see if you have the current version.

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple