What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating to 4.3.5 (with rental movies on board)

Duffersdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
During my last sync, I got this message: "A new version (4.3.5) is available for the iPad. Would you like to download it and update your iPad now?"

I selected "Download and Install" and got this message: "There are rentals on the iPad. You should transfer these movies to your iTunes Library before updating this iPad. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I've researched this and cannot find how to do it. [In fact, all that I've read says that you CANNOT transfer rentals.] Can anyone help?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.3.5 is not important right now, stay where you are.

and you need to transfer purchases. right click

HT4137-itunes-transfer_purchases-002-en.png

authorize-this-computer.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That might not move Rentals. Actually I'm pretty sure it won't. They can only exist on one device at a time.

To move rentals to your computer, plug the iPad into the computer and select it in iTunes. Now select the Movies or TV Shows page from the top (whichever rental type you have). All your rentals should show up with a move button. Tap the button to move the rental to the other device/computer, then sync.

That's it. It will be removed from the iPad and copied to the computer.

BTW, I recommend using the Download only option when updating. It lets you use your iPad during the download, and seems to be more reliable when doing the actual update later.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I had not run across this limitation. I only download the movies to the computer first, never the iPad first.

Most reactions