What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITunes backup

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
I have an iPhone and iPad and am a little apprehensive about backing up and which procedure to follow, I have just had a major problem with my laptop and it needs formatting. I noticed that when connect either to iTunes it performs a backup, my question is do I need to save the backup before I format (and where is it on the disc) the laptop or will iTunes just save a new backup when I connect the iPhone and iPad after a new iTunes install; hope I explained my problem.
Thanks in advance for any replies ....... Gerry N

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
don't forget to de-authorize your iTunes first before you format.

what kind of computer do you have?

yes you can find and save that backup manually, and you can also save your whole iTunes.

but, you can also ask your new iTunes to do a transfer purchases and backup, but you will lose media(thats why i mentioned copy your whole iTunes).

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Thanks for the replies.
I'm using a PC with Widows 7, I'm going to save an iTunes backup to an external drive, can you tell me where I find it on my hard disc, also I am a newbie to all things Apple and don't understand what you mean by losing "media" I presume you mean audio and video files.
Another alternative might be to wait for a few weeks until iOS 5 as I have read everything will be backed up to iCloud then I won't need to do the backup on my PC.
Apple must have a hell of a lot of zettabytes!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
on my XP system, my backups are stored here -

C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

i generally back up and transfer purchases once a week, then copy the backup file from this directory to my portable hard drive, where my itunes library is also kept and stored.

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
I have just formatted of my laptop and installed iTunes, I connected my iPhone and iPad, iTunes has now made a complete hash of the apps on both devices, deleting some and altering the arrangement of screens on both devices. I have a backup of the iTunes data on an external drive but can't see any way of restoring the data in iTunes ..... Can someone please give me some help here, I looked in the iTunes help and found zilch!
Many thanks in advance!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just formatted of my laptop and installed iTunes, I connected my iPhone and iPad, iTunes has now made a complete hash of the apps on both devices, deleting some and altering the arrangement of screens on both devices. I have a backup of the iTunes data on an external drive but can't see any way of restoring the data in iTunes ..... Can someone please give me some help here, I looked in the iTunes help and found zilch!
Many thanks in advance!

iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

Most reactions

Latest posts