What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 sync issues (Damaged backup file?)

Superstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

During a sync, iTunes froze and I had to force quit it.
Now when I try to sync, I get an error message saying (rough translation from Swedish):

"iTunes could not backup the iPad unit [Device name], because the backup copy was damaged or not compatible with iPad

Delete the backup for this iPad and try again"

Since then, I have manually deleted the backup (I think?) through Edit->Settings->Devices and manually removed my only backup. That did not work.
I then tried to restore sync history from the bottom button on that page, also did not help.
Finally, I also tried uninstalling and then re-installing iTunes, but I still get the same error message.

I believe this means that iTunes has saved either a backup-file that is damaged, or at least kept a reference to such a file, and that file obviously is NOT removed by wiping backups through iTunes nor by re-installing iTunes.

What am I supposed to do now? Is there any way to manually fix this by removing some file(s), and if so, which files/from where?
Formatting my computer is not an option, this has to be fixed somehow. :)

I am running Windows7.

Thanks in advance!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backups are stored in a directory such as: C: > Users > [user name] > AppData > Roaming > Apple Computers > MobileSync > Backup > . I haven't tried this so proceed with caution, who knows what this may do to iTunes. However on my computer the dates and times on these folder match up with iTunes dates and times for the backups that have been done in the past and present. Check out iLounge.com for a possible "How to" article. As usual YMMV. Verifiy this is the proper directory before proceeding. You could uninstall iTunes and then go to this directory and delete these entries if they are still there. Then re-install iTunes, and if it needed these files it will recreate them. But if it didn't need them, and they were the backup files, you should be good to go. You may have to delete the "Logs" folder also, just in case the error log it the source of the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts