IT BURNSSSS!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MemphisMark, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I am abandoning Safari. They switched the bookmarks icon back over to the left side of the address bar (makes me feel like the "Curse of the Odd-Numbered Treks") like it was in iOS 6.

The tabs and address bar now go away as soon as you leave the top of the page and you have to hit the bookmarks icon a second time to make it go away, else you lose 25% of your viewing area.

Is there any way I can turn these "features" off? I don't see a way to in the control panel.

2. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I don't like the way Safari's top bar goes off the screen when scrolling down a web page. Any way to stop it doing this ? Ridiculous feature added unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The feature was added to give the user extra screen space. Even on the bigger iPad screen, the extra space is useful, especially when a keyboard is being used. I'm not positive but I don't think this feature can be disabled.

4. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I would be used to this new feature because safari does a similar action when using my MacBook. I agree, it is useful with the added space for viewing! :)

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like this new feature, and I also think it's useful because there's more place for websites.

Afaik there's no way to disable this feature. I've searched for a solution, but didn't find anything.

#5 J. A., Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  6. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The Mercury Browser has the options to use or not use the hide title bar feature. The Mercury, for me, is a more pleasing Browser than Safari.

(Oops - the hide-the-title-bar feature is the android version. But still prefer the Mercury on the iPad 2.)

#6 cruiser111, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Mercury for iOS also has a full-screen mode. I have it set so a two-finger downward swipe toggles the title/tab bar. Mercury really is a nice browser.

8. Ibill

Ibill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Amen! I dumped Chrome because they started doing this. 1/4 in more screen doesn't make a lot of difference. Maybe if the would have put the Numerics with the alpha keyboard we could have used a tad more room, but we got a fail on that update.