iOS 8.2, where's the "add to favourites" gone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Aerofly, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Please can someone tell me I'm not going mad? At the top of the screen where you go to bookmark a website link, one of the options used to be "add to favourites" which would add the link with an icon to a "Favourites" page, which would then appear when you hit the "+" to add another tab.

This option no longer appears, although there is a "Favourites" still at the top of the bookmarks list next to a "star", which is empty, and I notice also a "Favourites" folder also at the top of the bookmarks list, where all those links from the missing page now appear.

Apologies if I'm not making this very clear, but, as I say, i just want to know I'm not going "ga-ga"!

Steve

2. rasmith1959

rasmith1959
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Simple, just tap on the box with the upward pointing arrow then tap on add bookmark.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here are some screenshots to illustrate how to save a favourite. The screenshots are from my iPhone but it works the same way on the iPad.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, as I suspected, I'm not sure people understand quite what I'm trying to explain.
    I'll try with a couple of pictures. I know you can put a web link in the "Favorites" folder, but there is also a "Favorites" at the top of the bookmarks list which has a "star" next to it. This is empty.
    If i hit the "+" in Safari and put the cursor in the address bar, it brings up a blank square, which used to contain all the "Favorites" with icons that I'd added using the now missing "Add Favourite" option.
    As an aside, I'm using an iPad Air2, but it's the same on my IPhone although you don't get the "+" to add another tab.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426779282.934704.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426779293.835043.jpg

#4 Aerofly, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your favorites should still appear in Safari, on both devices.

Reset your iPad, restart it and force close Safari.

If these don't get them back, you'll have to restore from a backup which was saved before they disappeared.

6. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate all the answers I've had regarding this, but I'm now at a loss as to how I can explain myself. I've never lost the "Favorites" folder or any favourites.
    Can someone with a iPad (any version) bring up their list of bookmarks and see if there's a "Favorites" at the top of the list with a star next to it (see my previous picture).
    If there is, can someone explain why its there?

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, there is a Favorites folder with a star next to it:
    image.jpg
    This is a cropped version of Safari on my iPad.

Afaik Favorites was introduced with iOS 7.

8. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks J.A., is there anything in it?. My next question is, if it's empty, what was in it, and if it's not being used for anything now, have Apple just forgotten to remove it?

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can also bring up the favourites view by tapping on the search bar in Safari. It shows the same type of icons as would be seen in the view that J. A. posted.

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What's in it is visible next to the bookmark bar (see my screenshot). These are the bookmarks I use the most, and I've added them to Favorites myself, using the method described above.