Issues with Ipad Air. Heeeelp

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Yunalesca, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Yunalesca

Yunalesca
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi new member here ,
    I hope im posting in the right area.
    I apologize if i accidentally posted where im not supposed to, I was have a hard time finding how to start a thread .
    Im having some issues with n Ipad Air that was given to me.
    The tablet works great and i really like it just as long as I dont fully charge it or let it die.
    If i do it will give me a really hard time trying to turn it back on.
    When i try to turn it on it will flash and give a charge your battery icon.
    I have to keep trying to turn it on like this for like an hour sometimes and when ot does turn on a few seconds later it turns off and starts saying its dead again.
    After a while of doing this ill get lucky and it will stay on .
    So i just try to keep the battery level in the middle.
    But sometimes i forget and leave it on the charger too long and fully charges it.
    Then i have to start trying to turn it on for an hour .
    You guys have any ideas what the issue might be?
    Thanks!

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to iPad Forums!

I‘ve removed your other post describing the same issue. Keeping the discussion to one thread only will get you better solutions.

With that said:
    From your description, it looks like your battery isn‘t working well any more. The device came out in 2013, so yours might be almost 6 years old.

Try this first, it might help:
    If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

Otherwise visit an Apple Store near you, or contact Apple. Since your device is out of warranty, a battery replacement is priced at $ 99.
    Get Support

3. birdman77

birdman77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm new also. And having same issues with my iPad Air (1st generation). Battery is going cuckoo and about to die sounds like. These models have a lot of issues just to let you know. A lot. I'm replacing my own battery which is gonna be a PITA but not wanting to pay apple 100 bucks either

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve bought an iPad Air in 2013, when it came out. I didn’t have any problems as long as I used it. I gave it to my daughter two years ago. She still uses it, and it works slowly, but flawlessly. After all, it’s almost 6 years old.

So you can’t say that these devices have a lot of issues, in general.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hello Birdman.. - welcome to the forum! :) I'd have to agree w/ Johanna, i.e. I had an iPad Air 2 for about 3 years which worked perfectly fine except that the battery was dying prematurely, now replaced w/ an iPad Pro. The first question is how do you know the problem w/ your device is the battery, i.e. have you tested it w/ say the app Coconut Battery or taken it to an Apple Store (or authorized dealer/repairer) for diagnostics (which are free)?

Second question regarding your wanting to replace the battery - have you worked on iPads before and/or are you handy w/ electronics repair? On the iFixit Website, battery replacement is rated as VERY DIFFICULT (see pic and look at the link, if not already done), plus their repair kit is $45, so you'll have to make an investment in a new battery and the right tools. Plus depending on your iPad's storage and whether cellular is present, the device is probably not even worth a $100 (you can go to Apple.com and 'buy' a new iPad and see what they will give you for the old device as a trade-in, if interested)?

So, my suggestion is to pay someone to replace the battery, although in my mind not worth it for a 6 y/o machine - save your money on the old Air and start looking for a newer device whether used, refurb, or new, if your budget permits? Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 5.37.03 PM.png