What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is There Such A Thing As An Unlocked iPad?

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I thought the 3G ipads were locked to AT&T..

So the 3G ipads are all unlocked ?

Do they take just a standard sims card..

Cuz I thought apple only allowed it to work with AT&T?

So if I put in a sims card from verizon it will work?

Thx in advance.. Again , I'm just curious..

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All are unlocked in the UK. I believe that is the same globally?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes ipads are all unlocked.
no they dont take normal simcards. they take Micro simcards, you can however cut a normal simcard down to micro simcard size.

no you cant use a Verizon simcard. there is no such thing, Verizon is a CDMA carrier and only GSM carriers have SimCards.

in the US you can put a t-mobile simcard in the ipad and it will work, however the ipad would only word with t-Mobile Edge and not 3G.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes ipads are all unlocked.
no they dont take normal simcards. they take Micro simcards, you can however cut a normal simcard down to micro simcard size.

no you cant use a Verizon simcard. there is no such thing, Verizon is a CDMA carrier and only GSM carriers have SimCards.

in the US you can put a t-mobile simcard in the ipad and it will work, however the ipad would only word with t-Mobile Edge and not 3G.

verizon do have sim cards but it won't work in the iPad... it's only for when your out of the country and wanna roam on gsm carriers since most part of the world uses gsm technology...

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well according to GSM World website Verizon does do GSM..

GSM Coverage Maps | United States

AND I spoke to representative and she said if you have an unlocked phone that Verizon will send sims card for it to work on phone..

So, it's still fuzzy..

Tmobile is the best and cheapest.. They don't require that you have a data plan like AT&T.. So you can get their cheapest plan which is 30 bucks for 500 minutes and just use hotspots for internet, that is if you don't wanna pay for data plan, but why would you get a 3G iPad then? Lol

Hey miketoolz , I purchased the blackberry bold 9000 recently, I got it new and unlocked for around 280 from Amazon..

What's cool about the bold is that it can do 3G and quad band gsm, I'm leaven for Greece in a week and will be able to use there (gsm 900 or 1800) and since it can do 3g ,I will be able to use in states as well..

So, mike, since u know so much, do u think the bold 9000 is a good smartphone?

chewan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In KL Malaysia, most people talking about cutting the sim card to be micro sim card until I checked with local provider Celcom. The sim card actually same standard size but with smaller chip and come in pre-cut shape of small sim card. The common standard Sim card not possible to cut due to chip size.

Ask your 3G local provider. Don't cut first

Most reactions

Latest posts